Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck on motor swap again... Torque Converter spinning freely

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

All I have left to remove are the 3 TC to flywheel bolts and the 2 motor mount bolts.. I put a wrench on the flywheel to TC bolt, and the whole thing just spins when I try to pull down on it? How in the world can I manipulate it to not spin? I thought about jamming a long pullhandle wrench on the front crank bolt, or jamming something against my flywheel, I just need to stop it from spinnign freely when I try to remove the bolts..

I am currently convered in grease and sand and all kinds of crap. I am working my flashlight now. Suggestions are VERY welcome.
    James

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Use something against the flywheel teeth and anything immobile . Loosening those bolts shouldn't break anything .

3. 78Suburban

what should I use against the flywheel teeth? a board maybe?
    thanks,
    James

4. 78Suburban

ttt, its getting cold out there.. I would like to at least get these 3 bolts tonight

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you can use a long screw driver or what i have been doing is where the starter would be get the bolt in that area and use a rachet the rachet will hit against the oil pan alowing to to get the bolts loose with out having to use a screw drive and a wrench in the other hand

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a special tool just for holding flywheels in place. What I have done on the past is wedge a pry bar (or large screw driver) up in between the crank and flywheel crank bolts to hold the flywheel in place.

7. 78Suburban

Just did that, and it worked awsome. This place really is the best tool I have for wrenching :bow: ............ tomorrow morning I will pull the 2 motor mount bolts and lift that low oil pressure, crapping running, SOB out of my truck :D ... then I'll drop in a good running 350 I got from clarkjw24 :D
    Thanks,
    James

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Or, put a wrench on it, hold on tight, and have someone hit the ignition! :D
    I always just found a way use the wrench that wouldn't put force on the flexplate in a direction that makes it spin. You can make things work against themselves to your benefit sometimes.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I found a special tool myself , a GT bmx bike straight seatpost . Its 4130 chro mo , thick walled . I flattend one end for prying , and the open end holds my 3/8 ratchet and is my leverage . Very versatile . Hood prop , jack handle , self defense , flywheel stopper :D

The best tool I ever found !

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i unbolted the converter from the flywheel, just last week. to get the bolts moving, i just used some basic physics principles. i positioned the flywheel and wrench in such a way that i was applying force perpendicular to the tangent (pushing towards the crank), not at a tangent to the flywheel. i should mention that i had already pulled my oil pan. that is worth the hassle, because it allows so much more room to move and see.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The real fun starts when you get to the installation. Turning over the engine so that you can tighten all 3 bolts is a great time. ;) Having a flywheel tool makes the job WAY easier.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

He's actually got a flexplate, not a flywheel lol

13. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

i have put vice grips on the crank pully before, and let the belt/pully/vicegrips bind the motor as i pull on the wrench

14. sebban

sebban Registered Member

[sort of hijack]
    Does the diesel converter bolt up to the petrol flexplate? (3 bolts)
    [/sort of hijack]

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Wow I never really had that much trouble getting the bolts out or in for that matter. It would be alot easier if that motor your pulling has good compression, usually that is enough to get the bolts out. It might spin a little bit but usually they come out.

16. 78Suburban

I already got them out by letting the wrench butt up against the oil pan, as suggested earlier in this thread. Heck I already have the motor out.. I just need more time to put the new motor in, but with finals at college, I'm a little short on time.

BTW:the engine had the belts removed and the spark plugs removed ;)
    thanks,
    James

17. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Remove 1 spark plug,,,,insert 1 ft of 3/8 nylon rope into hole,,leave some hanging out,,roll engine over until rope is compressed by piston against cylinder head,,,remove torque converter bolts,,,roll engine back a few degrees and pull out rope from plug hole

18. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats a very good idea, probably a good idea to do it on the compression stroke so that way there is no possibility to get the rope stuck in a valve or even possibly damaging the valve.