Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck pinion....any idea's? GOT IT!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, May 8, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

stuck pinion....any idea\'s? GOT IT!

I'm trying to do the gears on my D70U. I got the carrier out OK, and the pinion nut off with a long breaker bar. When I tried to pull the yoke, it would not budge. I used a puller in combination with hammering on the back of a 1/2" plate O bolted to the yoke. With a LOT of persuasion, and penetrating oil the yoke came off. Whoever worked on this last ameared rtv around the sealing surface of the yoke, and did not use anti seize on the splines. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Inspecting the splnes on the yoke and pinion, there is just enough rust, very light though, but just enough to make them seize. So, at this point, I'm thinking that the pinion should come on out with a little persuasion. So, I placed my lead hammer against the end of the pinion, and smacked it with a single jack. Nothing. So, the smacking began to get progressively more forceful. Well, now my lead hammer is destroyed, and I will have to recast it. So, I move to the ball peen. I put the ball end against the pinion, and with everything I can muster, hit it repeatedly with the single jack. The pinion has not moved a bit. It's been soaking in penetrating oil over night, so maybe something will budge today. The only solution I can think of is a bigger hammer. Any of you all got any idears???

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Re: stuck pinion....any idea\'s?

Use a press. If you don't have access, a decent shop would probably pop it out for you for a couple bucks or free.

3. mofugly13

That's an option, but then I have to load up a couple hundred pounds of axle housing, and then get it unloaded at a shop, who won't do it for free around here. I'm trying to think of how I can heat the bearing, and/or freeze the pinion to get some clearance between the two. I have a butane pencil torch, I might be able to heat the bearing with that, and hopefully get some expansion going.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What you have to do is, if you dont have a portable puller, to pull the yoke off is, get a brass punch and beat on the outside of the pinion (outside in), and knock the pinion off the yoke and outer bearing, make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Your going to have to use muscle though when beating on the pinion.

5. marine_enlisted

He already got the yoke off, now he needs to push the pinion out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. marine_enlisted

I am thinking with that much metal absorbing heat you would be there all day with a pencil torch trying to get enough heat to do any good. Maybe a regular propane bottle will do it, but it'd probably take awhile. I take it you need to save the pinion?

7. mofugly13

I don't need to save the pinion, but would like to. The bearing, I could give a crap about that. I was thinking that all that metal is just like one giant heat sink. I just wanna heat the bearing tho, not the pinion. Just an idea I'm tossing around. I'm also thinking of building a press, of sorts, aroung the diff housing, but I have to find some steel, all-thread, and a bottle jack. That would make me have to wait 'til Monday, and I wanna get this mofo out TODAY! Think whoever put this together may have used loctite on the bearing???

8. mofugly13

Well, I just went downstairs to try and get the pinion off, And I did it!!! I pried out the seal and took a propane torch and went around the bearing a bunch of times with it. Then a few good smacks with the single jack, and it popped right out! Sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif