Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck Slider Window Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Sep 16, 2005.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Mar 31, 2000
    Hi Everyone,
    I got this problem with a pair of slider windows that have been outside within the elements, they don't bulge and I don't want to break the windows forcing the slider in the channel with a hammer or knives, anybody got any ideas on how to get them moving?
    I would really appreciate some help here. :crazy:
  2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Jul 6, 2004
    I'm going to assume that they are good and stuck and that you have already tried a good ol' fashioned tug of war with them. Are they stuck closed, or open? (hey, you never know right?)

Try a good soaking of some type of lube like WD-40 or a good substitute. Get it down into the tracks. Let that sit a while. Take a rubber mallet and tap along the glass close to the track, not too hard.. just enough to jar it slightly. I'd probably re-apply some WD-40 again. Now, open the door, and standing next to the rocker panel, reach in and put one palm on the inside of the glass and the other palm of your hand on the outside of the glass...

push like hell. If that does not work, repeat the whole thing again. :dunno:

IF OPEN:
    My course of action would be to get inside the K5, and firmly, but not to hard, smack the edge of the window with a rubber mallet, in the direction of travel. The glass should be able to take the hits from a rubber mallet as long as you hit only the edge of the glass. If that does not work, try using the mallet along the inside of the glass close to the edges of the track to try and jar it loose from the track a bit. The glass is easier to break when hitting it from the side, so just bump it lightly.. then maybe again from the outside. Then try bumping it closed again with the mallet. I'd just keep doing this over and over a few times until it closed.

If the glass breaks... make sure you stare blankly ahead, and say: "Yep, that about figures"

Good luck