Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck spark plug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I decided to do a tuneup today. I cleaned up the cap and rotor, checked all the plug wires and replaced the plugs.

For some unknown reason, the 3rd plug back on the passenger side seems like it's crossthreaded. It spun out about 3/4 of a turn and then simply jammed stopped. I was able to tighten it back up but it still wouldn't loosen out past the sticky point..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm at a loss here. I've replaced the plugs at least a half dozen times and have never run into this problem. I always spin the plugs in by hand before I use a socket to firm them up so I'm positive I didn't crossthread it last time I replaced it.

Any words of advice? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Sounds like a sticky problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only a few thoughts. Have you tried warming the motor to running temp before attempting to remove or trying it cold? Once you get it out you could try a thread chaser to try and straighten them. Probably was not you, it was the plug you put in. May have had poorly cut threads on it. Worse case is putting in what I think is called a helicoil thread replacer, which would require you to use different plug, they usually specify on the box. I've had heads before with broken or stuck plugs as well, ended up removing the head to pull the plug. Hope not for your case. Good luck!!

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When you get it out put some anti seize on the next set you put on. Helps make it easier to remove next time /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Can Can

That's the crappy part. I always use anti-seize compound on my plugs. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like the 305 wants out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Could be some carbon buildup locking it up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyway, get it to the lose postion and spray it down with pb blaster. let it sit for an hour and try it then. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Get a bigger ratchet /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like the 305 wants out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I said almost exactly the same thing....... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

Im not sure if this will work for you, but i had a similar situation only worse a few weeks ago. the farthest plug /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif back on the passenger side broke off pretty much flush, couldnt get a wrench on it.

After going crazy and finally getting ready to take the head off, my friend came over with a micro torch, heated the plug remains up about 8-9 times, made it cherry red, then stuck a screw driver into the metal and twisted it out. Now I'm not sure if this will work if it is sticking, but maybe the heat will help.

Or maybe you could put the other plugs back in and run the truck and get it hot. these are all the easy things that probably got done, either way good luck with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

hell, presently i've got all 4 plugs on the drivers side stuck on my 80, been spraying w/ pb blaster and trying to turn , but not sh t-will keep soaking and trying to get them loose. good luck to ya been doing this for 4 days now