Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck speedo cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pops83k5, Feb 23, 2004.

1. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

I'm trying to get my speedometer gauge out but the cable seems stuck. Not sure if it is a simple friction fit or what but I've tugged on it about as much as I can considering the position I'm working in and it won't budge. Any tips? There is a tab sticking out from the cable that I've tried to squeeze or push - neither helps.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pop the hood, and force the speedo cable into the cab through the firewall. Obviously make sure the cluster can move, since the cable will force it towards the drivers seat.

As you sit in the drivers seat, you "pull" the top of that tab towards youm and pull the cluster towards you as well. If you have enough speedo cable slack though, you'll see how the cable is attached.

3. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

Thanks that's good approach. I also saw a box behind and below the cluster which looks like something to do with the crusie control which does not work. I belive it was labled ARA speed control or some such with a molex connector or edge connector on one end. I'd like to just pull it out as the cruise is shot and I have no intention of fixing it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That should be the VSS. As long as you don't have the computer controlled carb setup, then you can pull it with no ill effects.

Just the tiny screw on the back of the cluster and you can disconnect it from the wiring harness at the buffer, which is likely light blue or yellow.

Don't cut the wires, just in case you want to fix cruise later, or go injected. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif