Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck spring bolt...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mudrunner78, Nov 21, 2001.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

...ok I know someone out there has the answer to get a spring bolt out, front spring hanger on the rear passenger side of a K-10 pickup. Siezed so bad I broke my breaker bar(made in taiwan crap) thanks in advance Jesse

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

torch , big hammer bgger hammer , wd40 lots , patience ..

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

3. mudrunner78

well torch is the one thing I don't have, hammering doesn't work since the bolt is hidden on one side, I guess I could buy one of those little propane torches to try and heat it then see if it will break loose.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

PB Blaster....seems to penetrate better than WD40. I just did all new ORD bushings up front on mine and pre-soaking did seem to help.

Maybe get a grinding wheel and cut off the bolt head...then use a drift to punch the bolt through with a BIG hammer? Or maybe an even BIGGER breaker bar? [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did this recently...I presoaked with WD40 a couple times a week for 2 weeks, had a BFH, huge breaker bar and an impact gun ready. The bolt was so rusted the bolt head eventually broke off. Trying to drift the remainder out through the bushing was a joke because the bushing absorbs the impact...[​IMG]

My solution was to use a thin cut-off disc on a grinder to cut the other side of the bolt flush. This got the other shackle plate out of the way...then I used a drill with a 1/4" drill bit and drilled through the bushing all around the bolt until it pretty well fell out. Once the bolt and sleeve was out the rest of the bushing came out easily. I used some fine sandpaper to clean the spring eye out and installed new bushings and greasable bolts.

I've heard you can burn em out with even a small torch...but fire and a vehicle make me real nervous!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. mudrunner78

just a reminder this bolt is on the rear of the truck, the ones on the front spring hanger, can't grind off the head and drive out cause bolt is to long It will no fit in the pocket the hanger makes. But I will continue to soak it and bang on it till I can get a small torch.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

try to pry it out form the inside where the nut goes with a Larrrrge pry bar

dents ....
    O R D's axles

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can use a large grinder with a thin "Zip-cut" disc and grind between the hanger and the spring. One cut on either side of the spring and your set.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

or a sawzall

dents ....
    O R D's axles