Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck tailgate and window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianK5, Sep 20, 2001.

1. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

This is my first question here, so bear with me.
    I just realized that my tailgate wont go down. I removed the panel to acces the insides and found that the rods that are supposed to release the gate aren't moving. It looks like the mechanism that connects to the rods is binding on something, but I don't know what. When I pull on the handle, a small rod with a barb on it goes down into a hole in a peice of metal. It looks like that is where it is binding up.
    Also, the window is stuck in the down position. My brother wanted to see the rear window go down, so I put the key in the cylinder, lowered the window and then went to put it back up and it won't go up! I can hear the motor buzzing when I turn the key to lower it, but it makes no noise if I try to raise it. Would that be a bad motor? Are problems with the rear doors pretty common? What can I do to fix this stuff?

Thanks,
    Brian

Brown 1985 K5 Blazer

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Brian try pulling the two rods toward the center of the tailgate. i believe they need to go that direction to unlatch.

Once you get it open, should be a bit easier to work on.

Did you try closing the window with the switch on the dash? If that doesn't work, then you have a problem at the tailgate itself most likely (like the switch that only allows the window to roll up when the gate is closed) If that switch works, then the problems in the lock cylinder at the tailgate.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. Blazer83

Blazer83 Registered Member

more than likely the window motor is still good. I had this problem with mine. The problem lies with the design of the key mechanism. Inside the lock cylinder are two contact points to send the signal to the drive motor in either direction. The problem is that if those contacts get dirty(corroded) or get broken off after time, the window generally will go in one direction and not the other. problem there in lies how to get the window back up to get the lock assembly out of the tail gate.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

There is a rod that goes down to the bottom of the tailgate that whe window pushes down to release the latch mechanism. If the window isn't all the way down this rod will prevent the latch from releasing. Push it down with your finger end then try to open the gate. I gave found that by pushing in on the gate while lifting the latch, the gate opens more easily. Good luck.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

5. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this applies, but when I had an 88 suburban w/elec. window in the tailgate, the tailgate had to be completely closed before the window would activate. Being a heavy tailgate, somethings it would not close all the way or just one side would latch, thus preventing the window to opperate. I had to push on one side of the tailgate (usual the right)while turning the key to move the window. Just mis-alignment of the tailgate when closed. Hope this helps.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

It most likely is the switch that tells the motor that the tailgate is fully closed. If your motor thinks the tailgate is open, it will allow the motor to go down, but will not allow it to go up. This is whether it is done from the dash switch or the key mechanism.

Here is what I would do...

(1) Slam the tailgate shut pretty good. Then try it. If it goes up, problem solved.
    (2) If not, try the dash switch. If it works, then there is a problem in the key mechanism.
    (3) If it still won't close, you are probably going to have to physically get into the switch that indicates if the tailgate is closed. That lever (I can't remember exactly what it looks like) is probably your cause for concern if you get this far.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the board. Keep the posts coming and vote daily!

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

7. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.
    The switch on the dash and the key cylinder only make it go down. I tried pulling on the 2 bars inside the gate, and it seems like the passengerside one is stuck. I can pull the one on the right toward the center of the truck, but the other one won't budge. I'm going to go take another look at it, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks again,
    Brian

Brown 1985 K5 Blazer

8. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

You don't have anything wedged against the tailgate, do you? I thought something broke on my tail gate when it wouldn't open, turned out I had a block of wood I use for my jack wedged between the tailgate and the passenger's side wheel hump. Doh!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires