Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck timing gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cheyennesuper, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

I'm trying to pull off the bottom timing gear(the smaller one on the shaft)off of a chevy 350 but it won't budge.Autozone gave me a puller with the two bolts as if the gear had threaded holes for them but there is no bolt holes in the gear.I tried using a gear puller with the hook-arm things and even rapped on the puller shaft with a hammer but the damn gear won't move a bit.Does anyone else have any ideas?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it might be posible the woodruff key slipped in the slot and is now wedging against the gear preventing it coming off. try tapping it back on and them pulling it off again.

i always use a 3 jaw puller, never failed me.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

How bout a 4" grinder? Make two cuts 180 degrees apart as deep into the gear as you can without kissing the crank snout-next cold chisel in the cuts and a couple of raps with a 4LB hammer,Hopefully it will split right off.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats how i get stubborn ones off,if you are replacing it. I have just given them a good whack with a sharp cold chisel right above the keyway,and they crack pretty easy--in fact,after you install a new one be SURE it didnt crack while you were driving it on--I've seen cracked ones come apart after starting the motor(sometimes it doesnt fail right away either!)and cause mucho damage!!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

I ended up heating the gear with a torch and it pulled off.Thanks anyway guys.