Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck torque converter HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Dec 1, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

My torque converter will not disengage from locked position, so when I stop the truck stalls. What could cause this? More importantly, what will it take to fix it. Do I need a new torque converter? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the converter itself may be bad, the valve in the pump may be stuck, or the solenoid is grounded where it shouldn't be.

how many miles are on it? in any way, your gonna have to tear into it to fix it, at the least the pan.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TCC solenoid is dead, I'd bet money on it.

Is this all the time, or after the truck has warmed up, and then a stop, like coming off the freeway up to a light?

If the problem is consistent, and you can duplicate the results, pull the electrical connector from the drivers side of the transmission and try to make it stall how it normally does.

If the stalling goes away, the TCC solenoid is the problem. Easy fix, although I recommend a genuine GM TCC solenoid after having a bad experience with a "universal" aftermarket piece.

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

dude...do you also own my blazer?? it does the same friggin thing...i'll d/c that wire harness as advised tomorrow and if it goes away we can be tranny tearing pals....sheesh....i hope that its an easy fix....i've replaced all the sensors and crap and it still does it. I was gonna drop the pan this weekend and replace the fluid/filter anyway....

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

disconnecting all the electrical does not change the situation. I am not sure what could be wrong. I am taking it down the street to have it fixed. it is too cold outside to be f---ing with this thing. Hopefully it doesnt cost me more than the truck is worth.

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Well, the tranny shop said it is either the valve body or a failed torque converter which will most likely result in an overhaul. They said that if the torque converter fails, that all behind that can get messed up as well. If that is the case I am going to have to sell my soul or something to afford this fix.

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

well, you do have 2 kidneys....only NEED one..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm gonna d/c my wires tomorrow...didn't have time today to mess with it (its dark when i get off work)

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

becareful, if you unplug the plug on the tranny the tranny will get hotter than normal and it CAN burn it up.

the reason is the converter is slipping, not lockedup, and is creating heat. the 700r4 gets the most flow threw the converter when it is locked up. so its creating more heat and reducing flow threw the cooler.

9. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I just got the codes off my Blazer...its giving me a code 24. I know when its throwing that code-when i pop it from drive into neutral coming up to a light...its the ONLY time i've had a code thrown at me. I've replaced 99% of the sensors on it, so I may just get a new TCC and replace it with my fluid/filter. Wish i could do it today-but its raining out. I've looked at a few articles online and it doesn't look hard to replace at all...gonna go to the base and use the lift

One Q on this though-would disconnecting the tan/black wire (used to set base timing) also make it stop stalling (like d/c the plug on the tranny??) Cuz, i ran it one day disconnected (the tan/bl wire) and it ran fine in gear at a stop light..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So did you check what that code means?

From what my quick search online told me, it's VSS. Which is entirely likely the reason your vehicle stalls without it working correctly, if I'm understanding your problem correctly. VSS is tied into the IAC, if VSS isn't working right, it is a very common problem for an injected vehicle to stall when slowing down.