Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck Ujoint - Any tips? ---Got it!---

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mikey von, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I have a ujoint that is going bad. It is the ujoint that goes between the driveshaft and the rear axle. The rear is a 14 sf. This is a 3/4 ton suburban 4x4. I have pulled the drive shaft and removed the clips on the ujoint, but I cannot pound that B**** hard enough to get that ujoint out. I am following this http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/ to help me. I have searched and read a bunch of threads but I need some recommendations. What should I do? Keep pounding? Liquid nails? find someone with a press? take it to a shop? ...??? who knows but i need some help.

michael

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

try working one cap at a time outward with a vise holding the free caps- then use an air chisel with glasses on of course- straight on the cap it will come out- Jess

3. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice! i currently have neither a vice or an air chissle, but i will try to locate someone who does. anyone else?

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If the joints have never been out before it could be possible that it has that plastic crude holding it in. If that's the case just heat it with a torch and sweat the plastic out and it will come out like it should.

5. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I am not sure what joints came stock. The bad one says Spicer. It does not seem to have any plastic holding it in. I am sure someone has a torch up here that I can use.

My arm is sore from pounding on that thing with a hammer and socket. I am going to try again when I get home from work. I want the truck running this weekend. It is opening day for fishing tomorrow and my best friend is coming from outta town. we want to find some good fishing spots along 4x4 trails where there will be less people.

Thanks for the tips and keep em coming!

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42236

The c-clamp on steroids... though it's advertise as a ball joint press, it will also exert much force onto U-joints :haha:

Won't help you now, but they go on sale once or twice a year.

Heat or a lot of WD-40/PB-Blaster/whatever choice of "panther's piss" is prolly in order, on its own or in combination with tools.

-- A

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Got a big c-clamp you could rig up as a cheesy mini-press?

8. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

OK, Got the thing out. I found a bigger hammer! :D

Now, i got the new one almost all the way in but it seems there is only one spot where it moves freely. When i have to slightly tap it in further to get the last clip in it gets real tight. is this normal?

Napa did not have any sealed ujoints so i got the greasable kind. I do not have a grease gun so i am off to napa again to get one. is there a special or better type of grease i should get?

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

There is a old Indian trick for your problem, problem is I could not possibly explain it to you correctly, better to show it done, it involves holding the shaft u-joint end pointing toward the ground and then smacking the side of the shaft just above the joint in several places. This will allow the joint to settle in the correct position and rotate freely. This is only done after the clips are in.

10. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Well at least it sounds like i am on the right path. I will go see what i can do.

11. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

[FONT=&quot]Broc, Your tip worked well. Thank You!!!

So i got the old ujoint out. It definitely had some damage. I at first put the new one in backwards (zerk fitting) and had to do it all over again. second time was much easier.

Then I noticed some play in the ujoint on the front of the shaft. That one was bad. No bearings, just dust in two of the caps. Had this one changed in under an hour.

The truck runs soooooo much smoother now. it always had some slop and vibrations. Now it feels awesome! Time for fishing.[/FONT]

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Cool, I usually practice the ujoint installed backwards thing myself:D , Glad I could help.