Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck valve question???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Jul 27, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you take the spring off an intake valve and it won't slide all the way out unless you really pull on it and then it takes some brass with it...Is that a bad thing???It seems to slide in and out fine now, is the valve bent or was the tube maybe dinged on the spring end???Flame away...:doah:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Answers dammit I want answers...Look I know it confuses some of... OK all of you guys when I come into the garage, so tell me what I need to know and I'll be on my way...:p:

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i never took one off....but im guess that it should move kind of stiff, just from the valve stem seal squeezing it a little, but brass? doesnt sound too good....especially cuz ur engine must be doing something weird for u to take it apart....thats my 2 sense.:crazy:

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Can you say "Sig it????" :rotfl:

Poor fumes. Nobody wants to share their tech with him. They see your username and ask themselves "Who the fock is this nOOb????" :confused: :rotfl:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That brass (could be bronze too) would be valve guide material which isn't really a good sign. There may have been a burr on the valve stem when you were trying to remove it. They should pretty much drop out once you've removed the keepers.

Probably a good idea to roll the valve on its stem to see if it's straight, and also probably a good idea to have the guides replaced.

Rene

6. eclmech

eclmech Registered Member

I've seen quite a few high milers with the valves mushroomed slightly above the keepers. Pulling out bronze ain't good though.

Keith

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Cool thanks guys...I'm headin to the lounge for a cold one...:wink1: :p:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bent...

Rene's post is right on...if its an air cooled VW motor we're talking about,they are well known for valve stems mushrooming where the rocker hits them,and /or bending the valve stems..the rocker arm studs often loosen in the head and let them flop around a bit while its running,putting excessive strain on the valve stems and guides..sometimes bending them slightly..

Chuck the valve in a drill or drill press--it'll be readily apparent if its bent at all...

I'm sure you also know about how VW's are noted for the #3 exhaust valve running hotter than the rest due to the fact the oil cooler blocks the air flow to that cylinder--which often causes the exhaust valve to turn red hot,and sometimes "lose its head" and drop into the combustion chamber--with disastorous results!--I had a '59 Beetle 36 hp do this to me at 65 mph--the motor got me home(barely!) and I found a holed piston,and the valve head wedged between the crank couterweights and the block--had to pry it out with a screwdriver!-:eek1: :doah: -needless to say THAT motor wasn't rebuildable!..

Some folks adjust that #3 exhaust valve a bit on the "loose" side,to prevent this from happening..

I had at least 4 VW's when I was younger--I kinda wish I still had one at least--they were cool,especially the 63 Bus "Khombi" I had with factory camper interior and crank out windows..I miss my hippie days...:crazy:

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah that looks to be the case but I have no choice but to reassmble with the best of the parts I have to work with, it will have to run atleast as well as it did when I pulled the engine. I was just gonna change the throw out bearing and fix the clutch til I did a compression check and found that none of the cylinders had any, it still ran just fine though....Ya gotta love thes VWs they run til they absolutely explode...

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

funny..

It's weird you say it had no compression,yet ran well!--my "Bus" had the same symptoms,but the only thing "wrong" was a few rockers had backed way off,and were barely opening the intake valves!...took a long time for me to figure it out,since I was only 17 then,and was still learning basic auto repair..my shop teacher was who told me to "adjust the valves,but only when its stone cold after sitting overnight"--it ran like a bear after that!..

My 63 Beetle with a 40 HP motor was strange too--you couldn't get a reading over 60 psi in any cylinder using a compression tester,and you could pull off 3 out of 4 plug wires off,and the idle never changed!--yet it ran strong when you drove it!...:screwy: ..and when I checked the valve adjustment,they were set dead on!.:confused: --it didn't burn oil either!..

I'd get new valves or good used ones ,if any are bent even slightly--they will give nothing but grief if you try re-using them..they are not as costly as you might think (at least they werent when I was fooling with VW's!)..the guides can be fudged by knurling them rather than replacing them,or simply left a bit on the "loose" side..but too much play will tend to make the valves more prone to bending or breaking...:crazy:

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The rockers were snugged up tight as they could be, same as when I checked my kids bus. So tight you couldn't get the thinnest feeler gauge in between them...This sh!t still cracks me up, theVWs engine cases should have TIMEX stamped on the side...

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Why even take the valve covers off, like, how much is a rebuilt short block man? Swap it out in one day, get back to the crops.:haha:

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats almost laughable dood, this is for a 1700 VW, I just rebuilt my kids 1600 with new parts for less then I can build mine for with used...And trust me when I say I need to stop listening to my family members and more to my wife. Let me just say that my Brother or my Cousin don't hold the checkbook...:haha: :haha: :haha: I am almost possitive that I have spent less money on both busses then you have spent on purdy paint for your chevy engine...:D The n00bs should be reminded now and again what a chinsey bastard I am...:laugh:

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Excuse the altitude, it is laughable.:haha: