Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STUCK VALVE??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by REDNECK, Jun 7, 2000.

1. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

I checked the compression on my 79 350ci while I was replacing plugs. The compression was 140,143,140,145 on the drivers side,and 145,150,160,and on the front cylinder of the passengers side it would sometimes be 50-70, but then if you would try it again it would be 135-150. I think this means I have a valve sticking. I tried restore and some fuel treatment without results. Also under heavy acceleration I get a "rattle" not like a ping due to octane but a rattle like a manifold bolt or something else loose.Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. Sorry so long. JOHN-pa

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've been having the same kind of problem. I havent checked compression in a while but they were all a dead even 150 when I did it, but there is a distinct miss. A mechanic at work suggested removing the air cleaner and while the engine is at a high rev, pouring water down the carb from "squirt bottle" or "sports bottle" to try to shake carbon off of the valve. I'm going to give it a try, it beats a valve job. anyway good luck
    creepin and crawlin
    jim