Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck XJ

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudFrog, Apr 3, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I thought this was pretty funny, it's here in my town and I'd like to find out where it is and put the blazer up against the hill.

Read the forum thread in the first link to get an idea of what is going on, then view the pictures in the second link. Finally, look at the picture of the XJ on the last page of the second link. With tires like that no wonder it was hopeless.

http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/007225.html

http://www.xj.alloffroad.com/

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

He posted that he is in Roanoake.....happy hunting. I would think you would want to walk down the hill first.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea... I'd walk down first, but from the pics... I just wouldn't be too worried.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It doesn't look like 50 degrees...but you know how pictures minimize how steep or nasty stuff is. I think his tires weren't really the problem...it probably was really steep and loose.

I never saw any pic's of the GMC at the bottom...did I miss a page or something?

Rene

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Somebody should drive a K5 down there and help him out.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You really don't think the tires were the problem? I guess you could be right, just seems like those street tires wouldn't offer any traction on the rocks.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess it depends on how low he aired em down...but on that type of rock it doesn't really matter much. A guy in our club runs worse tires than that on his XJ and you'd be amazed where he goes with that thing. Of course his driving style involves the right foot only...

Rene

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

hmmm... sounds like my kind of wheeling /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I can't get the @#*& pictures to load on that POS website... it jsut sh!ts several popup ads, then locks for a while, then leaves me with a grey screen covered in banners, and nowhere to go. witout actualy seeing htis hill, I think they've over exagerated every aspect of the hill, up to and including steepness, length, rock content, impassiblility, and that the general problem is they're in heeps with really narrow roll happy tracks, and short wheel bases. thier best bet would have been to throw some better tires on the GM pickup, hotwire it, and use it to drag the jeeps up.

retards. Just my not-so-humble opinion on the matter...

[edit] got farther into the post, and found where someone properly linked the pictures directly. I still think they're retards. there is 1 picture that does show the hill to be pretty steep, but the hill can not be consistantly and impossibly steep the whole way up. also, they have to be able to take giant bucket trucks/cherry pickers up and down that road for routine maintenance, so it can't be completely impassable. my guess would be that they're stupid jeepers who're too headstrong to ask a friend with a fullsized suburban/blazer/F350/K30/D300/etc to come drag it out. if the power company can take a K60 or a deuce and a half up and down that hill, then its not entirely impassable, just for a short jeep, with a narrow track.

[edit ++]
    on yet another note, we had a place that looked about like that -trees, + steepness called Silly mountain Road. it was basicaly a giant testosterone magnet, where people would come to try and force thier vehicles up to the top of the road ( went strait up the side of a mountain, then makes a sharp dogleg shooting it up another peak... located at the end of the superstition freeway, where it turns into Highway US60) made out of loose rocks, and gravel. I don't really understand these guys perdicament, as I was able to drive my 77 C20 2wd pickup truck 1/2 way up the first leg of the hill, and probably would have gotten farther, if it hand't hopped out of gear. after I finished with that, a good ol lat 60's powerwagon wandered up to the hill, and idled up that sucker.
    -Rich
    PS, jeeps can't go everywhere.
    PPS, neither can I, but I can go farther....