Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Anyway to avoid this, other than staying on the road?

I think a rear locker might help, but I eventually got out by gassing it in reverse and swinging the front up onto the road. By the way, I tried using some logs but all that did was help to rip off a front brake line...fun driving home with no brakes.

stuck.jpg

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Tire chains?

The locker would help. About the only chance I've had to test my Detroit is getting into a ditch just like you did. The snow wasn't quite as deep. But my dad and I got out and locked to hubs. Then we drove up about 100ft to the top of a hill and it was only after we made it to the top and got out of the ditch that I realized eventhough I locked the hubs, I never pulled the lever into 4 wheel drive.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Move to Mexico?

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Fortunately this was in the mountains nearby and not in town. It hasn't snowed in 2 weeks here... :cool1:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You aren't stuck unless you can't make forward or reverse progress for about 45 minutes :D Thats a definition from a friend, and I must agree. I was never stuck until last night. My burb slept in the woods, I have to go TRY and get it today.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

pics pics pics

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As far as I am concerned, you arn't stuck if you've still got gas in your tank, lol

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Lockers might help....Deeetroits cause some other problems so it's not a slam dunk solution. I drove on snow this winter with a Detroit in the rear and it's pretty exciting, I felt like a dirt-tracker with the tail hanging out all the time....I had to lock the front hubs any time I needed to go safely at speeds above 20MPH. The "open" front end did help to offset the bad snow manners of the rear locker though.

You could also try adding a winch to that empty spot on your front bumper :D

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

winch is enroute (since last week). But there wasn't a spot to winch from for at least 2000 ft!

10. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have heard that a locker in rear end can be erratic in the snow. I have a 14 bolt and the locker seems to be my only choice.
    Therefore I am going to try something in the front end first. A selectable locker of some sort up front may be the best solution for me.
    The truck may not turn very well when locked, but this is a compromise as I will be driving this vehicle on the road also. With a selectable locker I can make the choice of open or locked differential. Too bad there is nothing for the 14 bolt yet.

I also have an S10 Blazer with the G80 option (Gov Loc?) and the back end was always to swing around under icy conditions.

I really like that bumper. Did you make it or buy it? If you bought it... Where?

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My rear locker put me off the trail a few times last month when I went out - with their benefit comes their detrement, but in most situations the added traction does help and often overrides the squirreliness they bring.

A couple things I learned while growing up in the snowy mountains of Western Montana before moving to the desert wasteland of Eastern Montana:

Sipe the tires - the cross cuts really grip in the snow and on ice.

Narrow tires - The narrower the tire, the narrower the contact patch, and assuming the weight of your truck remains the same, that equates to more PSI, and a simple physics equasion tells you the more Force, the higher the friction even with a coefficient of friction remaining constant.

Chains - When all else fails, chain up.

Snow boots & golf shoes - When you're stuck beyond belief and none of the above items work, you'll have a comfortable walk home with one of these 2 items. The snow boots for when it's really deep, and the golf shoes for when it's really icy and you don't want to slip and break a tailbone

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It is true that in my ealier story it was the locker on an extremely slick surface that put me in the ditch. But it was also the locker that got me out. Without the locker I don't think I would have made up the hill period. Especially not without putting it in 4wd.

13. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Can't see your pic....but I'm assuming you found the ditch....

Lockers F&R and low/low tire pressure is the only way to go in the snow :xmas:

Here is a great pic of a Helena MT member off the edge. He had his steering lock up on the corner going quite fast and ended up saving it by gunning the engine and turning the front end uphill and digging it in. He got real lucky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Looked like fun!!!

To keep some brakes try clamping off the brake line with vise grips and zip tieing the vise grips up out of the way next time. Saw it in a magazine the day before it happened to me, it's alot easyer to stop with 3 brake than with none.

P.S.
    great lookin rig :thumb:

15. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

That Blazer looks famalier - is he in the M4x4A?

16. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the idea about clamping the brake line...never thought of it, and I had vice grips with me. Oh well, next time. I think chains are the best idea in this situation. I've got a 14 BFF and don't want a full time locker. I guess I'll have to wait for ARB...

Front bumper is 4x4 iron (about a month old). He's going out of business, and may be one (if not the) of the last bumpers he assembles.

17. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Yep, his name is Dennis LaTulip from the Frontier 4x4 club in Helena. I think he has been in the club for 4 years now....he and the couple of fords you see in the background have lead trails on DR for the past couple of years.

Oh and I know the ARB's are in the us already...but they are alot of $. Personaly I would run a Detroit if it were a DD or a spool/welded if it were a trail rig. I realy like my welded rear end and would never spend $ on a locker for the rear of a trail rig again.

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Cool... I thought that was the same guy I saw at DR04. Thanks :)