Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MrLucky, Aug 20, 2002.

1. MrLucky

MrLucky Newbie

Dudes! whats up? this is actually my first post so if I leave something out or in any way sound retarded.... please offer "CONSTRUCTIVE" critisism....
    anyway now that, that is out of the way
    here is my dilima...
    The truck is a 82K5 305 everything stock nothing fancy done yet....
    I recently bought to start building up the engine....
    Edelbrock Performer RPM AIR-Gap Intake Model 7501
    Edelbrock QJET Model 1903
    First off I had to get a spacer to solve the issue of these 2 items not going together... not a prob... i got everything in no problems until now...
    Major oversight on my part, (there is no need for any jokes or laughs here, got enough from my Pop) I bought a Hot Air choke carb when what I had was Electric choke... is it possible to take the electric choke off my old carb (which is the OEM carb) and slap it on the new qjet? If not can I hook up the hot air style choke? and if so where from? Should I send the carb back and get the 1904? I am pretty stumped here and need some direction....
    next up is, throttle linkage.... the original bracket doesnt fit nor does it look anything like the cheesy diagram in the documentation... so what do I need to get to bolt the linkage down? can someone out there point me in the right direction? Just lookin for a little guidence from the powers that be out there.... I am new to the whole automotive thing but the way I see it is you just jump in ask questions make mistakes and learn as ya go....
    Thanks for your help and time...

Lucky

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

if the oem carb is a Q, then Id be willing to bet that the old choke will bolt up to your new Quadrajet. personally I would just return it and get the 1904 though. Then everything is new and you know its gonna work how it should.

what about the linkage doesnt fit? the actual bracket that bolts to the rear two carb bolts? or the way that the cable attaches to the throttle arm? if its the latter, the new carb should have come with different attachments. If its the bracket itself, need more info as I cant see why it wouldnt work....

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    please offer "CONSTRUCTIVE" critisism....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please fill out a little more of your profile. General location helps us a lot. One of us could be around the corner... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I don't know if this helps any but when I switched from a Q-jet to the Edelbrock performer I needed an adaptor plate/spacer and for the linkage Moroso made a thin baseplate with mounting holes for the linkage. You'd think in your case you wouldn't need that though/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Anyways, welcome to CK5 Nate, enjoy!

Rene

4. MrLucky

MrLucky Newbie

Hey thanks for your reply! What I am having a problem withm to be more specific... is the actual OEM bracket, I am having difficulty figuring out where or what to mount it too. Do I mount it to the intake? Carb? In its original configuration mounted to the intake via one bolt through the last intake hole with an intake bolt and another on a mount on the intake. My problem now is that the second hole is about 3 inches from the actual hole... I really hope that makes sense...
    all the cables hooked up to the carb with no prob accept there is a slight incline now. I dont think that is going to cause a problem, however I could be wrong...
    To avoid having to go through the hassle of sending the carb back to summit and going through that whole ordeal is it possible to draw heat from some place to actually use the hot air choke? which is actually better to use? if its not at all possible to use the hot air choke then I guess i got no choice other than to send it back...
    Anyways....
    Thanks for the welcome!

Nate