Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stud stuck in exhaust manifold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jul 29, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I have two broken off studs in the manifolds on my engine and a big exhaust leak has started to occur. Each manifold has one. My plan is to spray the crap for a day or two with penetrating oil and then heat them with the torch and try vice grips. If that doesn't work i'll weld some kinda thing on to get a better grip on it. I just don't want to break the remaining part of the stud off into the manifold. Anyone have any good tricks??? I've got to get this fixed quick it's annoying me bad. Thanks - Later

Doug Krebs

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Doug,
    If you have a good torch you should be able to heat the area of the manifold that surrounds the stud holes(not the stud) to a bright red then get a nice new pair of vise grips and clamp them on extra hard and quickly break them loose before the area you heated looses it's red glow. It is a lot easier if the manifolds are removed because it allows you to move the torch around without fearing about setting something on fire. Also, when I have had to do this I replace the old studs with stainless ones and use brass nuts.....good luck

3. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Try some PB Blaster! (get it at any local auto parts store) It works like nothing I've ever seen before. Good luck!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,39.5 Boggers for wheeling!

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the torch usually works for me too. But I did have one break off still. A friend told me to heat it and quickly cool it with water. and heat it agian. He works at an exaust shop and does this alot(he says). I guess the quick cool helps break the rust off the threads. I haven't tried it yet and am not looking foward to trying it! I hate exaust studs!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Scavenger is exactly right. If it doesn't come loose when you use the vise grips on it, it wasn't hot enough. You really have to get the vise grips on there tight though...start squishing the stud with them. As well, right on about the stainless studs/brass nuts. Use the LONG brass nuts instead of the small ones. The small ones strip out too easily because there isn't enough thread purchase and the brass is soft.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Get the engine hot, then you won't have to deal with a torch. get it hot, and they should come out easy as pie. We've done this trick to many vehickes with BAD BAD BAD looking bolts/studs and they came right out. Torch does the same thing, just you have a flame to worry about.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Little tip... don't spray the crap out of the stud then torch it the next day... there was some spray that made a little pool and was hiding when I used my torch... can you say ka-boom? It wasn't a big deal, just a little show of smoke more then anything... but if it had been bigger, I'd have no eye brows still... [​IMG] [​IMG]

C'mon captian break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

hmm never had wd-40 or any other pentrating oil explode unless i light the aersol on fire. Normally it just burns. Oh well, think i'll try some pb blaster, spray them a couple times and then try the hot engine thing. If that doesn't work i'll take em off this weekend and torch em. Thanks for the advice - Doug

Doug Krebs