Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuffing a K5 on a Uhaul trailer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, May 13, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What do I need to do to make this work? We're moving from Il to Tx in 3 weeks and I need to make the truck/trailer reservations. I have 35x12.5x15's on 15x8x4.25"BS. Do i need a stock set of tires/wheels? What is this going to take? TIA,

Bryan

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I'm doing a move next week. I just spoke with my friend ScubbaSteve who rents Penske truck from his shop. He said you would have to have some factory wheels and tires to even get it on the trailer, but even if you do get it on there U-Haul won't approve you to haul a vehicle that large on one of their trailers. I'm sure there is a way of doing it without their knowledge, but what if you have to pull into a weigh station and you're exceeding the weight capacity of the trailer? I am dealing with this right now as well. I have checked into having the truck hauled on a semi, but it's going to cost about $900 from Virginia to Minnesota. I think I am going have to force the wife to drive my truck.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Up front you will likely need to find some smaller diameter tires or use your own straps to tie down the truck. What are you pulling it with? I pulled a bare K5 back from Tulsa with my burban and the trailer pulled pretty good - the braking system was ok too.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ryder/Budget has a trailer big enough to hold the truck. They offer two types one is steel with the slats and the other is a full bottom aluminum. The full bottom one is the one you want. I fit mine on with Junkyard 30's but was sitting crooked. Worked fine for 3000+ miles from 29 Palms to Lejeune. Stock tires it should fit perfectly though.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If that's the last resort, just tell them your hauling a civic on it...

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hell, if it was gonna cost me $900 to rent I think I'd suck up another $1000 and just buy a trailer

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

We're pulling it with the Uhaul box truck....the trailer is $250 to rent. I'm not buying here, that's not even a question...

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We're pulling it with the Uhaul box truck....the trailer is $250 to rent. I'm not buying here, that's not even a question...

[/ QUOTE ]

Commawn... You dont want to get caught smuggling rust? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Bahahahahaha.....exactly.

And a trailer that costs about 30% less in Texoma! Money well spent? NOT.

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I rented a tow dolly from United Rentals that was big enough for my Blazer with stock tires in the front

11. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

I did this about 3 years ago with a UHAUL trailer. Uhaul has a wider aluminum model that I put my '71 with 32x11.5x15 and it was a super tight fit!(They have a smaller model that isin't even close) We squeezed the blazer on fine but I had to air down the front tires for the straps to fit over them. I would recommend just getting 2 tires for the front as the backend is narrower and should fit fine even with the 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I also had to tell them I was hauling a S10 because of the weight restrictions, I was pulling with a '93 4x4 xcab.
    It pulled great from Kansas to SW Arkansas.
    Matthew

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

when my brother had us pull his truck back from cali when he was prepareing to go over seast he Uhaul wouldn't allow his truck to go on a dolley. he had to tell them it was a metro, then they wanted to knwo what rig was towing it....
    well half way home the trailer got a flat. the guy would touch it since it wasn't a metro on the trailer. My dad made him change his mind rather quickly,LOL

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ENGRISH VERSION???

I went to look at the penske trailers, and they're the same 2 rail as the uhauls, at least here. No full decks on the lot and the attendant said he'd never seen one. Even though the trucks are newer, they're smaller inside, so I guess I'm still stuck on the uhaul. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

bryan,

finally something I've done too much. the straps on the uhaul will NOT fit your tires they won't even fit 31's. I had to air WAY down on mine and put coins in the strap slot so it would grip to ratchet it down.

best bet would be to go measure the trailer, and either get some wheels with a bad offset or something similar. even with the 1/2 ton gear and wagon wheels mine was like 3" too wide. made it work both times I did it. just drove up to the wheel wells and gave it the make if fit juice. but....
    if I was going to go as far as you are , see about smaller tires and offset wheels to fit on the trailer.

the 31x10.5 I had sat on top of the side rails some even when strapped down.

any questions give me a call.

15. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

oh yea, a lot of places won't rent it to you if you tell them it's for a full size blazer. it may exceed the weight limit but? don't know, they know it dosen't fit. so just tell them it's for something else if you go that route

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The other drawback if your telling them the trailer is for something else (like a Geo) if something does happen down the road that ends up causing damage, the insurance that you might have purchased will not cover this deal, you have already broken the contract by towing something else than what was specified.

I do know u'Haul has the larger trailers for like full size cars, i towed a '78 Cadillac Fleetwood from San Diego,CA to Phoenix with a tow bar, they would not let me use the dolly, (was not wide enough) and they were out of the larger trailers that they had mentioned to me. They said that was the only two options for towing the Caddy was with this large trailer, or the tow bar. The tow bar worked great, stuffed up close to the truck, no wiggle waggle at high speeds.

try to find one of those tow bars, it hooks up to your bumper of the towed vehicle, not hard to deal with at all.

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

tow bar is really hard to find anymore, most of the dealers don't even have them anymore. the trailer I used was the largest available