Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stumped by brakes???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gold Rush, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Need some ideas as to what could cause brake pedal slowly going to the floor and not completely stopping a 72 Blazer. A friend of mine called me about this the other day. He has replaced the master cylinder with 3 different remanufactured ones then bought a NEW not rebuilt ACDELCO one. He put in a vacuum booster and front calipers. Then he bought a NEW AC Delco proportioning valve and put that in. He put in my 12 bolt which already had new wheel cylinders a few months prior to me taking it out. What else could be the problem?????????????? I'm thinking the only thing left is his stock rubber brake lines. Could the rubber lines be expanding internally????

Any help would be appreciated.
    David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I went to the stainles steel brake lines up front I noticed a big diffrence in my pedal. But I wasn't going to floor first.. I am not a mech. But aren't you supposed to bleed the master cylinder before you install it.. Maybe he is not doing that..Just a thought...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

tow it down to a shop and have them powerbleed it.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

If the master wasn't bench bled, it could be causing this. I doubt that the lines are expanding so much that the pedal would go to the floor. If you think the lines are bad, replace those and go from there. Also make sure the shoes are adjusted out on the rear(almost no drag when you spin the drum).

1985 K5 Blazer

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i agree have it power bled
    i just went through this problem and power bleeding is the way to go

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

While I haven't had this problem on my K5, I did have it on my 68 Camaro. My old rubber brake lines were expanding and caused the pedal to nearly drop to the floor and barely stop the car. A new set of rubber brake lines cured it. I would try bench bleeding the master cyl first or power bleed the system.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>