Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stumped

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Apr 16, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Predicament.
    I have fire, fuel and all elements to make it run however I cannot get it to turn over. I have had the starter rebuilt and still the same thing. The starter will throw out the bendix gear but not turn over the motor. I have (2) 1/32" shims between the starter and the block. It will throw it out but not retract it or turn the motor over.

I am stumped and would set it on fire in a blaze of glory if it wasn't sitting in my carport and be done with it.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya probably tried everything I can think of, but.................Correct number of teeth? Engine turns with a wrench on the crank bolt? More/less shims? Brace that goes to the side of the block? Borrow another (known good) starter. New solenoid installed? Jumper solenoid with a screwdriver?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Is it a new motor or a high compression motor? I had that problem when I first put in my 496, burned up 3 or 4 parts store starters, theyd just engage the flywheel and buzz, couldnt turn it. Had to throw on a high torque mini-starter to spin it over.

If that aint the case, maybe your batt cables are crapped out not providing enough current? I had that prob about 2 months ago, my negative batt cable was bad, and it wouldnt turn over.

4. 79Stomper

Well just got back in from screwing around with it, got the starter to turn the motor over but something isn't right. Will spend tomorrow double checking wiring diagrams and connections on the new FI. She will move tomorrow by her own power or the power of the Cherokee pushing it to the back yard..........

Thanks all,
    Pissed and Frustrated

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You sound like me earlier today. I said I was gonna part the damn thing out before the day was done...but I'm over it...for now.
    That is a new motor right? Can you turn it over using a prybar on the flywheel or by the harmonic balancer? Hopefully something inside isn't the problem

6. 79Stomper

I eliminated something internal being wrong with it, as it turns with my 3/4" breaker bar rotating the crank assembly. All ready running a high torque mini starter on it, well its my third one........

Was sitting here drinking a beer with sapper and figured out what the hell I did worng. I was so worried about lining up the shutter wheel aand the hall effect sensor in the distributor, that I didn't think about lining up the rotor with the #1 cylinder. it is turning over, I am just not used to the way EFI sounds on the truck so sounds like the starter isn't turning the motor over when in all actuality it is. Well, will give me something to do tomorrow.

Oh did I say beer is good..............ummmmmmmmmmm

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes beer is good. I'vew had a few my selfe. Get that thing right James. I've gto to figure out tomorrow why mine has decided to start running rich and hard to crank. Nether the less I crushed my first car today with the 42s, a 67 Mecedeze Benz. Should have pics in a couple of days. ALmost tipped it driving over the front/hood from one side. Got to straighten tierod and stabilizers, and the steering drag slipped again, but I've got fixes for all of those. I'l have one more beer pleaanze.