Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid ??? about moving a piano..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gokartergo, Jul 19, 2005.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am moving a very old baby grand piano. From CA to CO. It has been in storage for the last two years and was wrapped up and crated to get there. I am planning on putting it on a trailer and taking it out there for my sister inlaw. I started reading about it.. A couple of places said it should be shipped on it's side.. Why.. The piano doesn't stay that way.. What would the harm be in laying it flat. I really don't want to haul this thing all the way to CO. standing up.. The legs and pedals have already been removed.. Any help out there... Thanks... :crazy:

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

pm ron (powermad) his mom runs a piano shop and he could find out for you :D

3. gokartergo

Thanks will do..

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

post your findings because i plan on taking our baby grand from idaho to texas and would also like to know how to ship them

5. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

My baby grand came to texas in a wagon :crazy: I have tried to picture it many times. Dont know how it made the trip. I think it came from somewhere on the miss.

I have heard to move em standing up also. To keep everything inside inline.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

To ship a Grand Piano it has to be shipped on it's side or it will break the sound board.
    It is a good idea to have someone come out and package it up for you, usualy less than $100.
    You will need a skid board to set it on and there is a certain way to secure it so it arrives intact.
    You could prolly do it yourself but if it was me I would pay someone who knows what to do so it doesn't get damaged.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah do what powermad says. I asked my wife bout it cuz she is really into pianos and music stuff.. She said it should be crated up by someone who knows how to move a piano. The action and stuff inside can break if not seceured right. Most piano shops know someone who can do the job right.

8. gokartergo

Well,, I got it to CO. It was already crated up. It has been in storage for the last two years.. I couldn't travel with it on it's side. Just laid it down and put some sleeping bags under it.. It made it fine and got to listen to it play last night.. Thanks

9. gokartergo

It made the trip just fine.. I laid it down flat.. They played it there.. Nothing broke.. Just have to wait a month for the piano to adjust to the altidude and then have it tuned.. :laugh: