Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid brake/clutch pedal assembly on auto-->man. swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jun 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am getting closer to the end of my auto to manual swap...I have the new flywheel and clutch on and I have the holes drilled for the shifter and clutch MC...Now, on the strut rods that come off of the clutch pivot bolt and go through the firewall to hold the MC...Do I mount them with the studs (the ones that go through the firewall and mount to the MC) so that the elbow bends up or down? I was a dumbass and wasn't paying attention when I wapped my things over...any ideas? I don't want to remov ethe pedal assembly more than I have to b/c it is a real pain...Thanks for any help...

Chris

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The reservoir fitting is on the top when installed, front of MC pointng down. Is that what you are asking?

3. fortcollinsram

No...you know the two rods that come off the clutch pedal pivot? The go through the firewall and hold the MC...now the actual bolts that go through the firewall and hold the MC...Where they are tack-welded in the strut rod, is the rod supposed to bend up or down (where the mounting surface for the bolt is)? I will try to get a pic up this after noon...

Chris

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

They mount down...

Check it out...

5. fortcollinsram

Thanks TopOff...That is what I was hoping...I plan on this thing being done in the next week or two so I can roll again for the firsyt time since March...Thanks for the help all....

Chris

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My friend with his '72 was trying to get this installed. I totally f'ed it up... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The angle is all wrong with his stock clutch pedals. Some day I will post pics.

Where did you find the Hydro Pedals? Did you get them locally? Or from someone on this board?

Have FUN!

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i know what you mean topoff, i had to flip my MC for the angle to be correct on my 72. looks kinda wierd in the engine compartment. but better inside the cab. check out my pic.

ARQ.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Wow, that's crazy looking. Is it upside down?

How's it working for you? How are the angles? Do you have any binding?

On my frined's '72 it is in a similiar location as my '73 (W/ Hydro pedals). It just BARELY fits with the double firewall, between the steering column and fuse/wiring harness. His barely binds towards the botton.
    These M/C are much more touchy than I thought they would be. But there is that rod going down the cylinder wall...

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it's upside down! looks even crazier in the engine compartment /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . works good so far, no binds, no angles.
    when fliped it points directly into the clutch pedal at the correct angle where i attached it to the clutch pedal. I am thinking of puting the clutch linkage(hiem joint) a bit higher towards the clutch pedal pivot to get a softer feel and more travel at the clutch pedal peg. that way i'll have more control over it.

ARQ.

10. fortcollinsram

I picked up the pedals from a guy that visits this forum every so often but I can't remember his screen name...I picked up the hydro bellhousing, clutch/brake pedal assembly, clutch MC, clutch slave cylinder and a few other parts that were off of a '85 K5 with a 6.2...So I got most of the stuff in one stop...

Chris

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a question on this too. I've been fighting my mechanical pedals for two hours now.

The bracket on the left hand side of the column, where it bolts up to the truck, is in the way of where the pedals go. I swear there's so much interference that it's not put together correctly, but it sure looks right.

Am I the only one who has this bracket in the way? I couldn't bolt up my clutch pedal without removing damn near half of it. I took a look at my friend's truck the other day and he has a manual column and there was a big "U" shaped channel where it rides in. What I'm talking about is the large bracket where the top part of the linkage goes that hooks to the "Z" bar. Specifically, the opposite side of that linkage where it hooks to the clutch pedals.

Also, where does the spring hook up that holds the pedal up when you let off of it? I have it, but I can't see where it hooks to.