Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid darn leaf spring bolts!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Mar 30, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

man!, im haveing the biggggest head ach trying to extract the bolts out of the rear leaf springs in the front of the rear leafs, i got 3 out of 4 out, now this bolt is gunna be as much of a bitch as the last one was, and i know its going to be, and its 7:15 here, and dark, and i need to get it done tonight, ya'll wish me luck, but tomarow will be another day when i can work on it, so im not that worried, and i have all new grade 8 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. ya'll wish me luck, see ya later, ps if anyone has any tips for extracting the bolts let me know, i'd appreciate the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: god damn leaf spring bolts!!

when i popped mine off (guarenteed it was the first time they had been moved since 1985) i just soaked em with some of that spray liquid wrench like stuff and then put my big 1/2" ratchet on there with a 3' breaker bar on the end of that... came right off. Leverage is a wonderfull thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

same here, soaked them once a day with liquid wrench for about a week. They came right off.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

just put a big cheater pipe on it and they will beg for mercy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yep, just soaked them in PB Blaster and a big cheater bar worked for me.

BTW, might want to change the title, its kinda offensive.

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> i tried that when i took the ones off my 83 but it only werked on 2 of them. the rest, i hadda use the torch and just melt the bushing's outta them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    one set i couldn't even get to break off right so i hadda sawzall the bolt head AND the nut on the back side while it was still in the truck ! ugh, what a nightmare,now im having flash back's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif</font>

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I soaked mine for a week (give or take a day) with some liquid wrench stuff and also used a cheater/breaker bar (2' bar with an extra pipe around it to make it about 4' long). the ones that didnt unscrew, snapped like twigs. Sometimes I love being so ripped I cant wipe my own ass. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, we dont need no stinkin torch... with about 4' of cheater bar you can either a) get the thing off or b) snap the head right off the bolt... either way its comin out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea if ya live in the rust belt..almost always need torches around here! lol..

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

How about you change your title?

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. 87sm465np208

got the one leaf spring out, wooooo hoooo, the other one was being a bitch, and i had to move my truck, so i have one really high side, and one low, the fawkin bed on the lifted side is up to my shoulder /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, it is fawking huge! the 33's look like fawkin car tires. well im guna take a shower and geet ready for tomarow's fun. and then onto the front lift, then brakehose's, breather hoses. and anything else... then torque everything down, then TEST DRIVE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. well this is just a update, and thanks for ya'lls info, la8rz.

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what was his title, im hella curious now.

13. 87sm465np208

what title? what are you guys talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think he's talking about the Man upstairs - with the explicative after it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

same thing here, just one damn bolt. It was two full days of propane and pb blaster and half dozen broken tools. had to get someone iwth a cutting tourch

good luck

16. 87sm465np208

well, i will look more at it tomarow.. but yea, i have a cut off wheel, and will see if that will cut the job, literally. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

oh yeah
    i had a 2 foot bar ans the high lift over that, so about 4.5 feet. no luck. im also a solid 200 pounds. i had a compound 3:1 ratio on a come allong and still no way.

18. 87sm465np208

yea today we could not budge that bolt, we had a very long breaker bar, and the bar was just bending, and we didnt want it to break, we all contimplated a torch but that would be only for a few hours and that wouldnt be anough time and it would be 50$ for one bolt, so we tryed a hack saw to no avil, SO my best friends dad went out and got his electric 8" grinder, id say he got that bolt out of there in 10 minutes, damn, well i'd just like to say that a torch isnt the answer to everything, but if you got it, use it. so i got the rear lift on, all except for the brake hose in back, which id like to install sometime soon, and we are going to proceed to the front tomarow, start that up. and boy howdy, pics from yesterday, and today will be entering my online photo album soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

hmm. . .i didn't have any problems. . . other than trying to hold the nut on the insdie, and i just used an adjustable wrench and tapped it with a hammer up in there. just use an angle grinder.

20. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> here in the rust belt,,a torch is mandatory equipment /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifit doesn't matter if your vehicle is 20 year's old or 5,,your probably going to need a torch for at least one thing on it round here </font>