Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid dealership parts department

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by trailblazer87, Jul 16, 2002.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Went down to the local Chevy dealership to pick up a brakeline and t-case adaptor gasket. I told the parts guy what I drove and a funny look came over his face. I explained that I own an '87 Chevy K5 Blazer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and he then told me that he COULD NOT FIND ONE IN THE COMPUTER. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I then commenced to educate him that I owned the original Blazer, not the little red thing that my Mom drives, I told him that the K5's were produced between '69 and '91. He explained that he was not aware of this and that evidently, neither was his computer. He told me he had parts listings all the way back to 1959 but could not find my Blazer in there. I showed him a picture of me standing next to it (don't we all carry pictures of our dependents?), he then said, "Oh a Bronco". I almost slapped him with the manual for the '73-87 Chevy Trucks, Blazers, and Suburbans. I no longer use this parts supplier /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what a dumb ass rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Must be just the Chevy dealers,Iv had the same problem.The parts department guys at the Ford dealers I worked at were better at tracking down stuff for my K5 than they were /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Guess Ive been lucky. I only use 1 GM parts guy, he is a wheeler and a buddy so he is pretty up to speed. LOL!

BTW dont give too much information. The AVERAGE parts guy will lose his mind if you tell him you have a K5 w/ a 14 bolt and D60. Or an LT1 w/ TPI, or a TH350 in an 86. I have a list of trucks that I order whatever parts I need from.

So far I have a 76 K20 for my front axle, 86 K20 for my rear axle, 98 K1500 for stuff regarding some stuff in my motor, (like intake gaskets) 86 Blazer for some other stuff. It just makes life easier to not tell most parts guys whats going on.

5. trailblazer87

I have had my best luck at the Saturn dealership /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The parts department guys at the Ford dealers I worked at were better at tracking down stuff for my K5 than they were

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats because ford is fix or repair daily so they have lots of experiance looking up parts /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">My Chevy Dealership rules ! The guys are great ! </font color>

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

The Chevy dealer (parts dept) I used to go to is now CLOSED on Saturday!!! WTF !! They
    used to stay open untill 2:00 pm, but now it's M-F till 6:00 - like I can get ther during
    those hours! Geez!

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Those dudes are lucky !!! We're open till 5:00 on saturdays /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Jim

10. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

its just the way of things...dealers are here to take our money and give us hassles...a necessary evil if you will. Though thats pretty bad cause I can get parts for my heep at the dodge /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif dealership and it was actually manufactured by a different company all together.

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The Chevy dealer (parts dept) I used to go to is now CLOSED on Saturday!!! WTF !!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">YOU work a few Saturdays at a dealership and then tell me how they should be open. Customers....

I have a Chevy dealer right around the corner from my work, the guy there never has a problem finding me parts. You just have to be patient with dealers, they dont exactly look up parts for 20-30 year old trucks every day.

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

The dealership is open on Saturday selling WHOLE cars - why should the parts dept.
    close? (I want a Big Mac with fries - sorry - the fry station is closed on Saturday).
    Those who work for people that are normally open on weekends shouldn't gripe if
    they have to actually work on the weekend - hey - you asked for a JOB didn't you?

And YES - I've put in more Saturday's than you'll ever know!!!!

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The later fullsize blazers are actually V10's not K5's, even though we all call them K5's. Tell him V10 and I'm sure he'll have it in his computer.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have learned to call my Blazer a "Full Size" when ordering parts.
    It seems when you call it a K5 it causes some kind of genitic response that causes a look of utter stupidity /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif and confusion /forums/images/icons/confused.gif to appear on some parts persons faces.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just tell them what part I want (and bring the old one in with with me). When they ask what it's for, I tell them it doesn't matter, couse the vichile is not factory stock. Still drives them batty, but usely gets the job done. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

My parts guy starts about by asking if its for my Blazer or truck. He doesn't ask what year its because he remembers what I own. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

17. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i personally enjoy
    me- "i need a such and such for an 88 V-10 blazer"
    parts guy- "i didn't know gm made a V-10!"

or "if it's not in the computer gm never made it.

..."my Bronco's built ford tough using chevy parts".......and everybody knows the world is full of stupid people. sadly i'm probably one of them....

18. trailblazer87

Stupid chevy (did I say that?) my '87 has a K5 emblem on the side, right in front of the doors, the silverado emblem is near the back. Nothing on it says V10. Why the change?

19. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

crack, lots and lots of crack.

and all of my outside badging says k-5 also, try getting motor mounts for and 88 "k-5" and trying to make them fit.