Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid exhaust question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 2, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Ok, Is it possible that if my truck had run VERY rich for a significant amount of time that it would leave build-up in the the exhaust system. My problem is this....I recently installed new edelbrock intake/carb and believe that the system is running just fine but I still get a very strong fuel smell from the pipes when getting on the gas. The exhaust does not have ANY smoke coming out of the pipes so I'm not positive what it is . I would expect some smoke with the strength of the smell but there is none. Thanks again

2. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Well, that's what Blazers smell like, if you think of the mileage you know it all.
    To proof if she is running too rich or poor you should check the plugs. Dry plugs with white built-up are sign for running too poor, wet plugs are sign for too rich.
    In case you don't like the smell (I do) get rid of the straight exhaust or keep the tailgate closed.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

3. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

uuuuppppsssss, sorry, just realised yours is a truck.
    Might be a hole in the pipe under the cab?

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Or you could convert to a Diesel and smell smoke AND fuel at the same time. Just Kiddin`. Good Luck

5. imconfused

My fault .......It is a BLAZER Not a truck. Anyhow the gas smell is quite strong . My wife gets upset the moment I walk in the house. I can't imagine that this is normal .

6. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

How about the charcoal canister for the gas tank fumes. The hoses run right under the passenger side. Just a shot in the dark. Good Luck.

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Is it a "fuel" smell like pumping gas, or is it more like a non emission car running a little rich? If your truck is running rich you shouldn't be able to smell it unless you are riding behind it when you gas it. Maybe there is a seal leak on your back window. If it is a raw fuel smell check all your connections at the carb. If it is a small fuel leak once it hits the engine it will evaporate quickly then you'd smell it inside. But as far as an exhaust smell you shouldn't smell anything reguardless of mixture b/c all gasses are spent at the rear of the blazer. Remember exhaust fumes are extremely toxic and burns alot of brain cells and if you are like me then you need all you've got. Just look at connections and keep the rear window up when driving....

Wasn't me.............

8. imconfused

The smell is coming from the tailpipes . (yes I drive with the rear window open ) I assure you that this smell is definately too strong to be normal . The pipes are coated with black sooty residue .I assume this is because the engine was running VERY rich prior to me purchasing it. I Can't help but wonder if the exhaust is contributing to this smell. I plan on swapping out the exhaust within a week so I shall find out. Still open for suggestions!!!

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't think the odor is "impregnated" into the pipes. I think it's pretty normal that most of your exhaust fumes will be sucked into your cab since you're driving with your rear window down. The only solutions are the air wing, close your window, or live with it. If you make your pipe end behind one of the rear wheels it will help a little, but not completely solve it.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Do you have straight pipes. They make almost all of the exhaust get sucked inside. If you have them go out the side at a 45 deg angle it will be a little better.