Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid fake lug nuts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. First of all, here's a tip. Always loosen the lug nuts before you jack the truck up.

OK, here's the question. The lug nuts on my truck (90, stock) all seem to be these fake lug nuts with thin metal caps on them. The actual, completely metal lug nut is about half as long, has a hole down the center, and is a hair smaller in size. Once I popped the metal cap off, I had to use an 18MM socket to get it off (I don't know if that's right though since I'm having trouble getting the nut outta the socket now /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).

Can I just replace these with real, solid lug nuts or are they on there for a (good) reason?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just replace them w/ real ones...they are that way from the facrory because it is cheeper.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

they're there to look "pretty"...just go buy some cheap steel lug nuts.

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys

Exxxxcellent [tenting fingers].

I'll pick some up before I finish my hubs (which is why I have it up on stands).