Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid ford 8.8" axles.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Feb 11, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

stupid ford 8.8\" axles.

we got a mid 80-s f150 2wd pickup we had to drag to the garage a couple nights ago cuz supposedly rear axle broke under it, after thinking about it for a second i made an assumption that it was probably more likely bad tranny since we were told by owner that it quit moving under its own power after some noise underneath it, he had just bought the truck a few weeks ago.
    the axle had no visible external sign of any kind of having blown up, no leaking, no crooked pinion, no noises when pulling truck with chain across town.

so i removed the diff cover about an hour ago after we put treuck in garage last night and well the spider gears cross lock shaft both ends are completely twisted off and spiders laying in bottom of diff housing and tons of shrapnel, its an 8.8" tall narrow cover axle and stock AOD tranny and stock low hp engine, a basic f150 pickup,
    trying to figure out why how axle could do that, thats pretty crazy under stock circumstances and such.

and ford freaks put these 8.8's under mustangs and stuff as an "upgrade" ? hahahaha funny,.

fords.. lol.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: stupid ford 8.8\" axles.

The 8.8 has been sucessful under the Rangers, but I just wonder what the heck the engineers at Ford were thinking....(oh wait, engineers at Ford, that's the problem /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: stupid ford 8.8\" axles.

Could be worse it could be a 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif