Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid fuel line??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Mar 4, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm trying to Help out Firefighter183 w/ his K5
    Its a 1989 350 fuel injected.

His return fuel line from the throttle body to the frame rail is leaking fuel. Can we cut the bad spot out and replace with rubber hose? I know the feed line has high psi going into the throttle body but how much psi in the return side to the tank?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dont see why not. i believe that system only runs at 20 psi or less. put a small flare on the cut ends of the line, and double clamp it, should be good.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Quick way VS right way...

I've rubber hosed RETURN lines on TBI vehicles to get someone moving again in an emergency..just be sure to use fuel injection hose and not "regular" carbed fuel line hose..double clamps are a good idea too,as Beater K20 said..
    I would not trust rubber hose on the high pressure side,period..

A better and more permanent fix is to splice in a new length of tubing using compression fittings ,they can be found at parts stores,home deopt or Lowe's,etc..or use a flaring tool, and line nuts and couplings,just like on a brake line..:crazy: ..

4. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes you can. Tbi pressure is 9-13 psi. The lines from gm at the good guy price run $48.75 a piece. Problem is if do not use the factory clamp on the backside of the passenger side head it will not last more than a week if you are lucky. So go to turbocity.com and order there fittings. They are 10 bux a pop and then you can go to azone or checker and buy fuel injection hose...a heavier sidewall version of the normal 5/16-3/8 fuel line...works great.

Doug Wright

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Another thing to try...at Transwest Freightliner we have fittings for A/C lines that you can cut the metal part that's broken off, it will crimp the metal and you can run stratoflex line. On the other end, just use the same fitting to crimp to the metal line.

I agree, spill lines don't run much pressure if any, and the actual pressure side only goes up to about 13 as AZ said. I've seen rubber hose and clamps work on low side of AC systems..and they can get to 70PSI.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

On the return side you can use low pressure fuel line. I am running low PSI line on the return with my TPI and it is fine. The return pressure is only around 5 psi which standard line can handle fine. The sending line should be FI line but the return can be regular.

Harley

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The pick-a-part out on Peoria has several TBI trucks, probably get a line for 5 or 6 bucks.

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

which side is the return side? i cracked mine right at the fitting....WAT DO I DO???

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm having some custom braided lines made by a race shop here in Arvada. Total cost: $160.00. They will warranty them for 3 years. Mileage unlimited. I'm going to run them to the passender side of the engine compartment, then down past the AC and along the frame rail. Easier access and nothing hot or moving to rub or burn them.

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Cool will you up for this weekend's run?

11. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

89gmcsub...what do you do for transwest? I worked for them for a little over 3 years in junction before getting a job in the oilfields...
    Worked for Sundance Truck Center/Freightliner Az. Ltd./Cunningham Commercial Vehicles for 7 years..and a 9 month break at the KW dealer with Basil T.

DW

12. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Planning on it, but I might have to go to CA for work. If I stay here, I should be ready rock...