Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid gas tank question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I unbolted the hose clamp around the filler neck-gas tank hose and there is a small line that follows the gas line up to the filler neck... is this a breather or something? How do I get the filler neck off from the rubber hose? Just pull on it until it comes off?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The small hose is a vent to allow air to escape from the tank as it is filled with gas. To get them loose try to twist them to break them loose then pull them off.

Are you preparing to remove the body? I unbolt the whole filler assembly from the side of the bed and leave the hoses hooked up when removing my bed from my K20, maybe k5's are similar?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

mmmmm I could try unbolting it from where the gas tank door is... good point. I will try that first.
    Thanks
    OH, yeah Im trying to take the body off.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, that's what I do. Just unbolt it from the body behind the door and keep an eye on it as you lift the body, you may have to help guide it out. You may be able to bend it down and tie it to something (frame) to keep it out of the way. I'm not for sure how the hoses are ran on the k5's.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay cool. I will go try that! Thanks

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well I took off the gas tank filler door, then I tried to get that plastic piece off that the top of the filler neck bolts too... no way, that wasn't easy... the stupid gas tank cap wouldn't spin off, it just made a click sound everytime it turned, so instead of saving it, I just took a hammer to it. Now I can take the lid off. But while hitting that, the hammer also hit the black plastic piece that the filler neck screws too, so that has a big piece missig out of it... oh well, I can get a new one... only a few bucks I hope....
    I got everything off, so if I lift the body off, i MIGHT beable to guide the filler neck out of the way. But I want to take it off, but the stupid rubber hoses for the breather and the filler neck wont budge at all! Now today turned from a happy day, into a horrible "i want to smash everything" day. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It will get better. Try to twist the hoses with a channel locks to break them loose.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont know what a channel lock is, but I tried to twist them but it dodn't do much /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

channel locks are pliers

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well I tried pliers earlier and it didn't do much. Maybe i'm doing it wrong or something. I will try again tomorrow.