Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid gauge question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I feel dumb asking, but I have three attachments to my motor that look like they'd be for gauges, but all I have is oil pressure and coolant temp. I have a silver can looking thing on the back of the motor near the distributor with one wire going to it, oil pressure? I have a single wire attached to a sensor or something between my front two spark plugs on the driver's side (coolant)? And I also have something plugged in right above my oil filter with 2 or 3 wires going to it... maybe this is oil pressure?

Can someone clue me in on what's what? This is a 350 by the way.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You're right on the first two.

Do you have an oil pressure light? That would be my guess, either a warning light or maybe a cut-off switch.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The one in between the front two spark plugs is your temp sending unit(temp gage) The metal can by your distibutor sounds like you vacuum adavance?? I am pretty sure you oil press gage is connected through the distributor. The wire by your oil filter...I don't know. Can't reckon if I have any by mine or not???

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a silver can looking thing on the back of the motor near the distributor with one wire going to it, oil pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, to the guage

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a single wire attached to a sensor or something between my front two spark plugs on the driver's side (coolant)?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, to the guage

[ QUOTE ]
    And I also have something plugged in right above my oil filter with 2 or 3 wires going to it... maybe this is oil pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]

cant help ya with that one off the top of my head other then to say it doesnt feed the guages

5. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

The switch by the oil filter is for the choke. It closes when oil press is present and sends power to the electric choke. No oil press no power to choke. It is also the reason the choke light comes on with key on engine off. It is kind of like an idiot light.

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The switch by the oil filter is for the choke. It closes when oil press is present and sends power to the electric choke. No oil press no power to choke. It is also the reason the choke light comes on with key on engine off. It is kind of like an idiot light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha. That makes sense. I have no choke anymore, but I guess it's still an idiot light for lack of oil pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif