Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid, ignorint, uneducated question

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by ducttape114, Mar 11, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i had a CB in my truck for a few years. it stoped working, so i got a new radio and kept my old coax and antena. i can brodcast but cant seem to recive anything. any thoughts? somthing simply i might have over looked?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, first of all, check that RF gain is turned up, and squelch is turned down. Now lets move on to the coax and antenna issue. What ya got ??? If your antenna is good, think abour atleast replacing the coax with some new high quality RG58.

3. ducttape114

i have a 102" radio shack steel whip. i have also tried with a ghetto 18" or so magnet mount that didnt work either. RF and squelch were my first thoughts also. i think my radio might be messed up from the factory but i would like to be good and sure before i take it back. i only have one friend with a CB so testing it im not sure if its his or my radio thats not working.

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Only couple of things i can think to add is maybe your microphone. Those can short out and do weird things to your radio. What about an external speaker? Does it have a switch that may be thrown or can you plug one in to test?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What kind of radio is it. If it's just a little el'cheapo, then no wonder. But if it's a better unit, atleast have it bench tested.

6. ducttape114

the radio is a radio shack model TRC-520. the mic is brand new. it has a jack for an external speaker but the speaker is making static noises so im pretty sure its working. can i bench test it my self or do i have to have somone else do it?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'll need meters. Sorry to hear you got a radcrap (Radio Shack) jobbie. I stay away from stuff from radcrap, usely lower quality. Tandy go's with the lowest bidder to make things for them.

8. ducttape114

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thing that gets me, is the sales guy at Radcrap makes out as if thier CB's are the best on the market. Most of them have never talked on a radio either.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Chances are your ant is good. Did you run down your coax, I mean thoroughly? Have you had a chance to check it with someone elses radio besides your friend, it could very well be his. Radio Shack radios aren't all that bad I've seen worse like Galaxy (Muhaha). Im going to have to say it's your coax, rf gain nob, or if you got a squelch nob (more likely then your rf gain). If you can rule out that it's your buddy's radio then cool. Your not parked right beside him when you transmit are you? That might be it. What kinda radio does he have? He doesn't have his dyna mic turned all the way down that would also explain it. You say you can hear static coming out of the speaker right? Hmmm... I'm thinking its just something very simple like your buddy has a bad radio or is turned down. Do you have a meter on the face of the radio? If so does it move at all when your buddy keys up?

I dont know check out some of the things I rambled about and post back here. Don't be discouraged by the radio shack special, Little radios can do amazing things if you let em. I got a handheld Cobra wx26 that can swing/skip out 5-6 states and it only cost $25.

11. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

have your swr checked. if it's way off that could mess it up too. you can buy your own swr meter at a lot of electronics stores pretty cheap. i paid less than $20 for mine.

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If your running a 102" whip first thing to check is the coax isnt shorted. You can do this with a simple Ohm meter. Just make sure you dont have any conductivity between the center conductor and shield. Of course, disconnect the coax from the radio and check it from that end. If its shorted. thats a problem. This might not work on any other base loaded shortened antenna cuz of the different tuning networks they use will/can have DC short to ground that dont act as electrical shorts at RF. If you dont have a Ohm meter, another quick was to see if the might be a problem is to disconnect the antenna, turn the squelch off (so you hear the receiver hiss) then while listening to this and/or watching the meter, connect the antenna coax and if the level becomes louder and the meter jumps up, the antenna is probably OK

You say you can transmit OK...How did you verify this?
    When you say you cant receive anything, what does that mean? You have someone else close by who is transmitting and you cant hear them or your tuning around the channels and not hearing anything? SWR is important for transmit but unless the cable is shorted, it really wont affect receive very much. I have low noise receive antennas for short wave broadcast that have SWR's on the order of 20:1 but work very well for receive applications.

If your tuning around the channels and not hearing much, propagation on the higher bands (11 Meters) has been very poor the last few days due to a hugh solar flare that is causing radio blackouts.

13. ducttape114

well, i guess it was my buddies radio that dosnt work. i found another guy who parked near me and we talked back and forth. thanks for all the input guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif