Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid Insurance Company has me by the short and curlies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 22, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate these auto insurance guys. I had to go through some stupid phone interview a couple weeks ago. The guy was flat out rude about it all. And he only worked from like 8-3(I'm at school from 7-4). Got a chance on my lunch break to take care of that one. Now they sent my mom a letter requesting all this information. Namely they want me to prove I am enrolled in school(what business of theirs is that?), they wany my roommate's Driver license copied, his insurance too, the same from my mom, same from my dad, same from my 15 year old sister(I told the guy she doesn't have a license), and they want a bill to prove that I live where I say I do. The most BS thing about it is, I have my own policy. Completely independent of my parents! I told my mom to refuse to send my roommate's info and hers. There is no reason for them to have that stuff on people who don't even touch my vehicle. Thing is all they have to do is say the word and I have no auto insurance :mad:

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have no advice but it seems a little like big brother to me

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I feel for ya. I am insured in connection with parents since I get a cheaper rate that way. They just don't get why I don't live at home. I had to provide an official transcript from school, a local bill, and get my roomates signature on some paperwork. Yours sounds even worse.

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

sounds fishy. the school thing can be used for a discount if you have good grades. if they need dl info from your parents, shouldn't they already have that info if its the same company?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is the same company so they should have that stuff you are right. I asked mom, "If I were 25 would they be asking me for all your crap? I doubt it, so why the hell are they asking at 19?"

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You might want to shop around for some Independant Insurance companies. Independant's usually have better rates if your driving record is clean.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Because everyone assumes you are a delinquent at 19.:p:

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I get insurance with my parents also for cost reasons, Im on a higher-risk insureance then normal...due to a careless driving ticket in 2001, anywho, I had been under my K10 which was running in the area of I want to say 4-500 every 6 months, well when my dad and i bought my S10 Blazer he decided he wanted to put full coverage on it...so he did, a month or two later my parents wanted to get my insureance cost dropped down some since I had been making honor roll at college. So I had to full out a thing that said that i went to such and such school and how far it was from home to where I go to school. Also what vehicle I had been using primarily. Well then they found out I have been driving my blazer more then my K10....so they jacked the full coverage on a $5000 Blazer to 2200 every 6 months...needless to say my parents werent paying that ****, so its down to liability again, I see the need for insureance but sometimes its just not smart. I know countless friends that havent ever had a ticket and have way low insureance...but are the worst drivers in the world, a few I just plain wont ride with in the winter. I wish they would make ya drive on a obstacle course or somethin and they rate you insureance wise off that.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who says I'm not? :D

Big thing is that I have a bad driving record. Shopping around is pointless for me. I'm high risk insurance. Not "Higher risk" flat out high risk, expensive. Liability alone is about 2500 a year I think.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I know insurance pisses me off something awful. I have had somewhere around 10 tickets in my 3 years of driving and only 1 or 2 are on my record, and they are for stupid stuff like no license plate light. My girlfriend has been in 3 wrecks, THREE. All in seperate vehicles and all her fault (although the first one really wasnt). She still has lower insurance than me because shes a girl. Re-goddamn-diculous.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it sucks don't it? i had the same problem when my car was stolen when i was 19.they all do it,it's to protect there asses . they want to know everyone in the house so they might be able to use it agains't you if you have a claim.same with your roommate, he might take your ride while your sleeping. or your sister might really want to drive and take your ride for a spin. thats what the insurance companies think.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

During that phone interview the guy noted that I own 2 trucks right now(more than that, thats all I have insured). His way of asking about it, (in a rude tone) "why do you need 2 vehicles?" I almost blew up on that. Wtf do you mean why do I need 2 vehicles? I didn't realize I was limited to 1 vehicle theses days :mad:

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sucks... I hate insurance, but it's one of those irritating things that you one day admit was good to have... BTW, start making yourself healthy now so you don't go through this crap when you get life insurance in a couple years...

Are you assigned to this company? You can probably switch to Geico or something at about the same rates without the hassles.
    When I was insured in PA, they didn't ask me anything, just for my license and record. I was even really vague on where I lived, I had a mailing address in PA and one in NY, so I kinda alternated them.

I don't see why they need all this proof from you, too. What would happen if you just told them "Sorry, she doesn't want to give me her license, she's a very private person" or the same for your roomate, or evne say you don't know if your roomate has a license, you're not dating him, you're renting space with him. They can't drop you because your roomate doesn't want to provide information he doesn't have to.