Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid Lift Questions.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81Bogger, Dec 9, 2001.

1. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

I'm still a little unclear of what Driveshaft/Drivetrain changes need to take place when installing a 4" lift.....? [​IMG]

Also, What is everyone's personal favorite type/brand of lift or lift kit, (for 4 inch). Thanks for any feedback!

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

ok for a 4" the front is fine except the exhaust cross over needs to be lowered, the transfer case needs to be lowered and for the prefered lift its tuff country soft ride with rancho 9000,s for shocks .

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

3. 81Bogger

Hmmm......................not to sound like too much of a beginner but how do you lower the transfer case, how much lowering is needed? Does this mean I have to lower the tranny too?

Thanks.

"<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

4. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

The brace holding the T case has one inch spacers on the outside of the brace. All you do is unbolt it and put the spacers between the brace and the frame. Almost like Chevy planned it. As far as the exhaust goes I wouldn't run it lower. Mine was rerouted above the drive shaft. Very nice. Call around. The shop I called knew exactly what the problem was more so than I did.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You don't have to lower the t-case. Only if you get some vibration.. I ran mine for at least 4 months tell I lowered it.. The front exhaust you should do right away. It cost about $40.00 to get it lowered.. I like procomp's setup.. Most people say it rides a little rough.. But I like it that way...LOL

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

6. 81Bogger

Cool, thanks for the info............
    Who seems to be the best source for Procomp stuff?

7. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

For a 4 inch lift you shouldn't have to do anything, currently i have a 6 inch lift in my 73 automatic and i havn't done a thing to it, the angles are a little stepp but i havn't gone thru any u joints yet and it has been lifted for over a year now. and as too what type of lift it all depends on what you are looking for, if you want to add a whinch bumper and accesories you will want a heavy spring rate if not go with a softride lift.

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I did run into a problem with mine- but I'm not sure if the cause was the body lift or the suspension-- I can't engage 4HI, only 4LO, I have to extend something- but thats the bottom of my list to do's... other than that, I didn't do anything, oh cept the brake lines-

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

9. 81Bogger

When you recieve/buy a 4' spring lift kit, the only thing you get is four new springs, right?...and maybe shocks, but there isn't any new u-bolts or anything like that needed, is there?

(besides new brakelines and possible linkage changes)....

Thanks.

"<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/cool.gif"&gt;

10. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

The kit might come with u blots but if not you still should replace them with new ones, they arn't something you really want to re-use. they tend to streach and the neventually break. but it all depnds on the kit some kits are more complete than others. and it all depends on how much you pay for the kit.

11. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you also need a longer steering arm for the 4" lift? I would like to know because I'm doing a 4" lift on my truck this Spring. Thanx!

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

12. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Yes you do need the steering arm and I would also suggest 6" brake lines. I just lifted mine last week and I have it back up un the blocks doing that and puting on the frame brace kit. problem is, my Jimmy is too tall for the garage and it won't stop raining, maybe I should arc weld in the rain...it seems safe, NOT!

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy, 4" lift and a shackle flip, and 35's!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

13. 81Bogger

Where can you buy a longer steering arm? OR do you have to make one? Is it hard to swap out?

14. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I bought a two inch lift that came with new u-bolts, but they had almost half the diameter of the original ones. I went to a local front end and spring shop, and the hooked me up with brand new heavy duty ones. They were pretty massive as were the bolts and washers.

15. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Personally I would go with a rough country lift, they are a lot cheaper unless you are looking for lots of flex, There are many people on this board that have put the rought cuntry lift on and are very satisfied, I put the 4" lift and I will need to get a new front driveshaft made, mine is an inch too short fully extended. I also added new braided brake lines, they really help. Drop the tranny if you need to like others have said with the spacers from the factory. I did not have to change anything as far as the steering shaft is concerned, but i do need a new front driveshaft. Just some more opinions to help out.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

16. 81Bogger

Excellent. Thanks for all the info everyone.
    I'll be putting on a 4" on my 81 this spring and have a little more to go on now. [​IMG]