Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid little TV cable question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had to get to my GP controller on my 83 6.2 last week. GM was kind enough /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif to mount the TV adjustment bracket right on top of the GP controller, so I had no choice but to remove the bracket in order to pull the controller. I put everything back together but now my shift points are a little screwy(surprise, surprise......./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

I did a search but couldn't find the info I needed. Basically, the ol' 700r4 cycles through the gears too quickly during low throttle acceleration. If I'm heavy on the pedal it's a little better. What steps do I take to make the tranny shift at a higher RPM? It needs to hold the gear it's in a little longer before upshifting right now.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you removed the bracket entirely, you can do so without interrupting your TV cable's adjustment.

Either way...

To up the shift points, push the little D shaped button in and click it, one click at a time, towards the firewall. Tightening the TV cable will make your shift points higher.

The way I always checked to see if mine was too loose was to drive, let it shift to 2nd gear, and as soon as it shifts, stomp it to the floor. It shoudl immediately downshift to 2nd gear, and if it doesn't, your TV cable is most likely not set tight enough.

Post up if you need any more help. I'm sure there are others that have done this even more than I have. My rig started live as a 700R4 truck though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    If you removed the bracket entirely, you can do so without interrupting your TV cable's adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the way it was designed. The bracket is held down by only one bolt and there's no spline or tab on the bracket to ensure it reinstalls in the exact same position after it's been removed. I was pretty careful but it must have pivoted a little as I was tightening it. Next time I'll take a pic.

Either way, it's still very close to being good. I'd imagine the cable only needs to to be tightened by a few clicks. So all I do is disengage the cable with the button on the rear of the cable "holder" and push the cable towards the firewall one click at a time until I'm happy with the shift points? How do I click it backwards if I go too far?

Thanks for the reply.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

You can always check this page out: TV Setup

It may give you a better understanding on how to set ip up.
    I need to do this to my truck since I stuck in the new 700, weathers just to crappy right now.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Either way, it's still very close to being good. I'd imagine the cable only needs to to be tightened by a few clicks. So all I do is disengage the cable with the button on the rear of the cable "holder" and push the cable towards the firewall one click at a time until I'm happy with the shift points? How do I click it backwards if I go too far?

Thanks for the reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That's all there is to it. Do yourself a favor and do it one click at a time.

6. Can Can

I found that link while I was searching. There's way too much gobbledegook in their tech pages. My brain hurts when I'm exposed to too much technical jargon....... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm gonna go by feel on this one. I think I'll be able to find the sweet spot if I mess around enough.....

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, I thought my brain was gonna melt down after I read all that.
    But it finally made sense to me!

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well if you incorrectly adjust TV cable you can hurt th4e tranny bad,

what you want to do is get under the hood and hold throttle wide open at the carb by hand and depress the cable housing lock button just behind the intake bracket it sits in, and pull the cable housing back all the way with throttle still wide open and then let go of the lock button and cable and then throttle and then you will have her all setup ready to go

if not then you risk burning up clutches and other things in the tranny

if the tranny still doesnt hold each gear for long enough before next shift, then adjust cable a hair tighter by about an 1/8" and then test drive after each time you pull hair tighter until it is how you like it
    but the only problme with this is that the abopve correct adjustment procedure sets the cable so that the carb can be WOT without the TV cable stopping the carb from getting to WOT, so...

good luck