Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid locking lug nuts!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, May 21, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I bought a 3/4 ton chevy scottsdale today and before I could bring it home I had to change out the front tire because it was dry rotted and flat (also, it had been towed/ dragged with the flat tire a couple miles). My buddy I bought it from neglected to tell me that they were locking lugs. And he swore up and down he didn't know where the lug key was :mad: .First things first, I cut the shredded tire off of the rim. The locking lug is round and I couldn't get anything on it to bust it loose (vise grips, pipe wrench, etc.), so I tried hitting it with a claw hammer a couple times to break the stud and lug off. All that did was make me mad and mess up the grooves for the lug key. I took a break and started looking through the truck myself after buddy (previous owner) "had looked all day", and low and behold there it was plain as day in the glove box.... a chrome lug key:doah: . By that point the lug was distorted and couldn't be bent back into shape for the key to fit. So I busted out the BFH and went to town on the mangled lug with a series of golf looking swings and it actually busted loose and I was able to turn it easily by hand with a pair of vise grips! so now the truck is ready to tow home tomorrow. Here are some pics taken at my buddy's house, I'll snap a few more when I get it home. He said I has frame damage, I'll take a pic and see what y'all think. I got the truck for $450 and the motors blown and I know a guy that buys them for $100 so really I got it for $350 (as soon as I pull the motor).
    Edit: I also smashed the locking hub on that side and dinged up the bolt heads on the axle.

5-16 001.jpg

5-16 002.jpg

5-16 003.jpg

5-16 005.jpg

5-16 004.jpg

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I ran into this problem before and got a socket a little smaller than the outside of the locking lug nut and pounded it on with a big hammer. Once the socket is pounded on, just grab a breaker bar and spin the lug nut off.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

They sure do work don't they! Also ran into this before. We ended up welding something to it and turning it off.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

These might be an option.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

take off the others before it happens again lol.

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

That's just it. Only two of the wheels have the locking lugs on them! And they're not even super nice wheels. But now I have the key to them. I soaked em down real good last night with some break free stuff and WD40 and I'm gonna go pick it up and bring it home as soon as I can get one of my hung over buddies up and around. I'm pretty excited though, because it has the 14 bff on it, NP205, and SM465. And a dana 44 front which I will probably use to do disc brakes on the 14 bolt.