Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid New Guy question

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Mudrock, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Mudrock

Mudrock Registered Member

OK, My 1998 K1500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif just rolled the 60K milestone. Now I know there is a service due on this so I called a few shops have a few quotes from dealers and local guys in the $500-$700 range /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can not beleive it should cost that much to change most of the fluids and dump in a little BG44 in the fuel tank. Am I missing something here? I have a manual trans so no dropping of the pan or filter. Any idea what this service should cost?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks in advance

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

you can do some of that stuff yourself, its pretty easy...dont know what exactly is involved in a 60K mile service though

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dealers charge around $75 per hour for service, plus mark up all of the fluids about 300% and parts at least 200%. They also charge that hourly rate using a "flat rate manual". If the book says it takes 4 hours to do a job, then you get charged for 4 hours of shop time, even if they actually finish the work in 2 hours. Then they'll also whack you for a few extra bucks for stuff like "shop supplies", which can be whatever they want it to be. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now you see why so many of us crawl under our junk and fix it ourselves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know that I have saved tens of thousands of dollars over the last 25 years by taking care of my vehicles myself. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Even the little stuff adds up. I can do an oil and filter change, even using Mobil 1 at $4 per quart, and it will cost less than the same job with who-knows-what-oil and a no-name-filter at a quick-lube joint. You just have to determine if you want to get dirty or write a check. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

just change them all yourself. not sure what's all involved in a "60k service"...that's way too low a mileage for me...157k /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif here's a list of maintenance stuff for ideas.

- front and rear diff fluids: $2-$5 qt @ 5 qts
    - one rear diff gasket: $5-$10
    - time for both: 10-15 min

- oil change: $2-$5 qt @ 5-6 qts
    - oil filter: $3
    - time for oil change: 20-30 min

- brake fluid change: $2-$5 a qt @ 2-3 qts
    - time to bleed brakes: 10-15 min

- manual tranny fluid: you got me, mine's an auto /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ok, if its got a drain plug, drain it and refill it with fresh fluid.

- fuel filter: $5-$7
    - time to change: 5-10 min

- air filter: $10
    - time to change: 1 min

- injector/fuel system treatment: buy the stuff...strong toulene stuff and run it through a vac line. actually, run it down to a jifyt lube and get it done...maybe $40...? i'll ask another guy i know that does that.

oh yeah, if you haven't already, buy a chilton's manual and do all your maintenance yourself. is $15-$20 and tells you how to do everything.

oh yeah, are you going to do the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor too?? if you do, you're looking at around another $120-$140 for delco stuff.

5. Mudrock

First thanks to everyone for the information /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I have purchased the Chiltons, Haynes and even went to Helm and got the Factory Service Manual. In looking at all three I could not find anything that would suggest the cost. I have the platinum plugs so they do not hit until the 100K mark and I dropped in a K&N air filter. One thing I can not pin anyone down on is the fuel injector service. None of the manuals recomend it or describe it. If it is just pouring a bottle of BG44 in the tank I can not imagine the $100+ bill for this /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I'm not afraid of getting a little dirty but I am still building the tool set so I was trying to figure out if I could do it myself with tools I have. Thanks again for the help!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There is so much injector cleaner in gasoline these days that a "professional" injector cleaning is hardly ever required. The pro cleaner that I've seen is just a can of chemicals that are connected to the fuel rail or throttle body, while the fuel pump is disabled. The can contains a cocktail of nasty chemicals, some of which actually fuel the engine during the cleaning process. The engine is then started and allowed to idle until the can is empty. A bottle of Techron in the tank once a year or so will usually prevent the injectors from getting clogged in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

as for as the platinum plugs to 100k, i always thought that pretty hokey. if i were you, i'd at least pull them and take a look and check the gaps. in my mind, 60k is a lot of miles on the stock set, platinum or not. i keep my plugs around 35-40k.

8. Mudrock

I will check the plugs when I'm in there, any recomendation on the replacement brand? Also I am a little confused about the rotor comment above, I thought they were pretty much all electronic units. Again just another opportunity to let the "New Guy" colors show. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thanks again fot the help! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rotor is under the dist. cap. Little white plastic thing that spins. Just pull it off and push new one on.

Monica: I just changed the plugs in the truck for the very first time in 157k miles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. There were the origional AC Delco's and they looked pretty good too, although the electrode tip was a little rounded... But anyway, I put the same exact AC Delco type plugs in and I'm quite pleased with them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I just changed my plugs at 100,000 and man did they need it. Someone must have changed them before because they were bosch platinums plugs but they were all burnt to hell, no wonder the thing was running so rough. I put the delco platinums in it but I would definetly check a couple to be sure.

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

At 60k I wouldn't worry about injectors clogging unless you are running some really nasty gas. Todays gasoline has so much detergent in it they should stay pretty clean.

Once you get to 100k, you may want to give them a quick checkup. I'm not talking about having "Larry the lame mechanic" squirt some stuff in your fuel lines and give them a rinse, take them out and drop them off at a shop that specializes in fuel injector service.

It should cost about $20-$25 per injector for them to pull them apart, clean them up, replace the microscreen (that will be full of crap after 100k miles), bench test the coils and check the flow rate. If you have Throttle Body Fuel Injection the pricing will be a little different, call them and ask!

This is obviously preventative maintenance since your injectors will probably still be working OK but for less than $200 you can have the peace of mind that your injectors are all up to snuff and you may actually gain a mpg or 2 along with a few more ponies under the hood.

12. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    - manual tranny fluid: you got me, mine's an auto ok, if its got a drain plug, drain it and refill it with fresh fluid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it different for different years concerning a drain plug? On my 96 (Automatic) You have to unbolt a whole bunch of bolts that go all the way around the pan and take off the pan (Making a humongous mess) There is no plug. Am I missing it?

14. Mudrock

I think he was refering to my manual trany having a drain plug. Which it does and lucky me I don't have any filters or the pan to remove/replace. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance and advice. I think a littel dirt is worth $400 to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif