Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid newbie-ish 14 bolt/detroit locker question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fwdjunky, May 3, 2004.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

If any of you read my little rant in the garage "the good, the bad, and the ugly" you know I am now suddenly in a hurry to complete the rebuild and install of my D60. I'm going to 4.88's, so I'll have to re-gear my 14bff. It just occured to me that since I'm at 4.10's now, that means going over (or under, depending on how you look at it) the carrier split. I know that means I'll have to use a thick gear set. But what about the detroit locker that I currently have? Will it work with the lower gears? I think it will since the detroit doesn't replace the carrier (at least I think I know that), but I need to know for sure for budgeting purposes. Thanks in advance for any help, Rich.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes - your D/L will work in either case . Tom

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I've been up for about 24 hours now. Went wheeling all day yesterday, then came in at 6 pm to work a 12.5 hour shift. Makes it hard to think straight.