Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid newbie questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i looked at a 84 k5 to buy , great condition, no rust , loaded, towing package, 3:73 gears, ... price 2400.00

questions
    89 350 installed , but using original quadrajet , blows black smoke for a couple seconds after you punch it to the floor ?

play in the steering , linkage is all tite ?

dash lights dont work ?

is it worth the $2400 ?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If it is in good condition then I would say it is worth $2400. The black smoke when you punch it is probably from the carb being miss adjusted. Namely, to rich. Older Blazers like that aren't know for tight steering, but if there is something wrong with it, that is another thing you can use to drive the price down a little. I can't help you on the dash lights though. It could be anything from a fuse to a short.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with Hoss, if it is straight and looks good it is worth it. A minor carb adjustment should fix the black smoke, check the choke and make sure it isn't hangin up. About the loose steering, check for cracks in the frame at the steering box, or a loose gear box to frame, or just a loose adjustment of the gears in the box. Dash lights could be as simple as a bad headlight switch. Dash lights are dimmer controlled through the headlight switch and that part of the switch could be bad. Don't settle for giving him $2,400.00 make him an offer then settle on something in between. Just my $.02

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well actually , the price started at 2900, and i offered 2400.
    he said 2500 , and i said 2400. i am supposed to pick it up
    tomorrow for 2400.

the main thing i was concerned with was the engine, becouse it was from a 89 . the guy installed an inline
    electric fuel pump and a regulator. the engine runs smooth .
    but he didnt do the swap . someone before him did. so i dont
    know to trust him . but besides that would be the thought of
    furture work on the motor , not knowing what the hell i have for sure.

oh , and the steering, i have chacked all the linkage and everything is tite. so , its either a crack in the frame, streering box needs adjustment , or a bad steering box ,

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

If the black smoke only lasts for that brief moment while you kick it in the pants, it is probrably just [censored] in the exhaust and from the valves getting blown out. Kinda a sign that it never gets driven hard....
    The dash lights that dont work are probrably due to a bad headlight switch.... no biggie there.....
    Loose steering is pretty common in a 20 year old truck... nothing a little $ cant cure...

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How many miles are on that engine? As for the dash lights, half of mine didn't work when I got and it turned out that the bulb holders just needed their connections throughly cleaned and they worked fine.