Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid NP208 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Apr 13, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As the subj. says, I have a stupid NP208 question... Is there a tensioner for the chain? Checked my t-case lube level the other day...stuck my finger in the fill hole and hit something metal that moved a little. It scared the s#it out of me at first, then I realized it was the chain I felt, not some rogue piece of metal running amok. I tried moving it around, and got maybe 1/16" of movement (according to my calibrated finger! [​IMG]). I'm thinking there's not one, because I think the movement of a tensioner would make the outputs get out of sync in 4wd. I'm just curious here; it's not a real problem. Thanks!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

no, there is no tensioner. If you have big tyres and drive in four wheel drive often, the chain CAN stretch. They have been known to break and can be replaced... not so easy. anyhow, I'm not sure what the slack on it is supposed to be, sorry! hope I helped

NEVER been stuck... *yet*