Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid oil question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what is the thickest oil....for some reason i am think 10w30....but i`m not sure if it is....i know i need to replace my valve seals but wont be doing them for a while...so what would be the best oil to use with 120k???

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i run 10w30 in everything except smokers

put new valve stem seals in

if it still smokes then its time to take it apart and do guides or rings

good luck

3. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

40w or 50w are heavier. i usually put 10-40 in my dd it has 200,000 on it. 10-40 or even 50w if it's warm out should be ok

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as crazyhole pointed out, 50w is a common heavy oil...

if i'm looking to run something on the thick side, i run 20-50...

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Put a can of "restore" in it. Autozone has it, it comes in a silver and black can. It will help lessen/stop the smoking.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Fix It!!..

Nothing will slow oil consumption better than replacing the valve stem seals.(you might need guides too,or to have them knurled!)...
    --you can put off re-ringing an engine by using heavier oil,but the valve stems will still suck enough oil past them to smoke and burn some, no matter how thick it is..and heavy oil flows slowly on cold start ups,and can cause more harm that way...I'd use 20W-50 ,if that does not help,then its time to fix the cause,and not treat the symptoms..

Of all the engine additives,I'd avoid using "Restore"..its like aluminum paint,consists of lead,silver,and copper in powder form..not something I'd think was good to pour in an engine!..I've seen many blow up shortly after ading it!..I'd trust a petroleum based additive like Lucas or STP long before I put powdered metal in my motor!..try a "High Mileage" motor oil,they are specially formulated to soften up old dry hard seals in older motors,and have higher flash points,so less will be lost to blow by and seal leaks..--all of my Chevy motors had the "chevy puff" when you start them..I think its GOOD to have a little oil upstairs when it first starts!..:crazy: