Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid P/S steering pump...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Sep 11, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Finally have time to yank the motor and get ready to put the new one in and am stuck...

How Do I get the power steering pump off the engine? Looks like all the bolts holding it on are either blocked by the brackets or the pulley! About ready to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the dang thing off if I didn't need to reuse it.
    (the old V-belt systems were so much easier....)

(1990 K5 Blazer/ 350 gas)

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You would be correct. The pulley does block the bolts. You'll have to pull it off with the correct puller to remove the pump.

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Right again. I just did this and had to go to the auto parts store and get a p/s pulley puller. A regular jaw puller will only bend the pulley. With that it comes right off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when my pump went I stared at the thing for like an hour, then went to the autoparts store and they were having a sale on PS pulley puller. Kinda weird huh

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Turns out I had a puller in my toolbox! (think most people call it a crowbar though). No time to rent a real puller and little patience so I tweaked it enough to sneak a wrench in. Figure I will replace the pulley when I re-assemble. (in a time crunch, need the crankshaft out of this motor for my new motor)