Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid power steering Hose (where to get one?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fubeca, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Okay, last winter I replaced my powersteering box. The return line was a bit mangled so I decided to replace it. It starts with a metal fitting at the box, goes to aluminum tubing that wraps back and forth a few times under the radiator (to cool the fluid?), and then it turns back to rubber and ends at the PS pump. All of the connections were crimped from the factory except the last one at the pump which was just held on with a hose clamp.
    Well I couldn't find the complete hose anywhere so I just bought the fitting at the ps pump and used regular rubber hose and hose clamps at all the connections including at both ends of the aluminum tubing. It worked great until it got cold last year and then the return line at the ps box would keep blowing off (big mess!). I put a couple more clamps on and it worked. It has been working fine since -- until last night /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyway, does anyone know where to get that whole pre-made ps return line? If not, has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?
    Could there be a problem with the PS gear? I replaced it at the same time.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Have you checked into just getting one made with both ends having the crimped ends?

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I haven't looked into having one made yet, I need it pretty quick and am not sure of the turn around time.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check around a hydraulic shops, they usually have the capability of making a hose. Even a tractor place.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I also just checked napa and then sell the return line....
    [​IMG]
    Item#: NPS72662

Price: $ 25.49

price is according to www.napaonline.com

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It is for a 1991 K5 and the aluminum part is about 96" long and it loops back on itself 4 times to provide a little cooling action. I guess I could just replace it with a normal one from a previous year.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That one I looked up WAS for a 91 K5 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Hmm ..... So maybe they had 2 different ones from the factory. I'll stop by Napa tonight and see if it will work. I'm in WI now and it plenty cold -- I guess I don't need the cooling part anyway!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You just need REAL power steering return hose and REAL hose clamps. Regular hose and clamps is a no-no here.

Check out a REAL parts store and they'll hook you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Sorry I wasn't more explicit -- it is REAL stuff and it still isn't working.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry I wasn't more explicit -- it is REAL stuff and it still isn't working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the stuff on my own truck and it's been fine with my crossover/hydro for quite some time. You need fuel injection style hose clamps to do it correctly.

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

So help me out here,

I walk into a REAL parts store (Some examples? I only have Checker, Napa, Carquest, and Dealerships locally)

I ask for REAL ps hose

I ask for 4 REAL fuel injection hose clamps

I hook it all up -- and it works?

13. biobry

biobry Registered Member

So, how do we differentiate between the REAL stuff that you probably sell and all the rest of the parts available? Are you for REAL? I'm sorry, but that just sounds a little out there...Is REAL a brand name of high pressure hoses and parts? Can we please be just a little more vague?

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

PS hose lines can carry pressure that will explode regular line and hose clamps

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

From the description I'm guessing that this is a return line. Just how much pressure are we talking about on this line???

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So, how do we differentiate between the REAL stuff that you probably sell and all the rest of the parts available? Are you for REAL? I'm sorry, but that just sounds a little out there...Is REAL a brand name of high pressure hoses and parts? Can we please be just a little more vague?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said fuel injection style hose clamps. It's real simple. They don't look like regular hose clamps and they say fuel injection on the package. You can put a tremendous amount of clamping force on a rubber hose with them.

Real power steering hose is just that. There is fuel hose, transmission cooler hose, and power steering return hose. Often times a counterman doesn't know the difference and will sell you one type when you need another. My point is that REAL, high quality, made for the appication power steering return hose is best. It's hard for me to describe how it feels compared to fuel hose and tranny hose but when I hold it in my hand I know the difference. It comes in a box marked, "Power steering return hose." The stuff on my truck is Gates brand, but every major rubber company makes it I'm sure. This is the stuff you want.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

My definition of a REAL parts store is one that sells to commercial auto repair facilities. Commercial customers want [censored] fixed the first time. They don't want a vehicle sitting on their racks waiting for parts and they sure as hell don't want someone's rig going down the road and spewing off a power steering hose, which can and I've seen cause a fire in the past.

I'm really trying to be as descriptive as possible, but this is just one of those instances where you either get the right guy at the counter that gets you the parts you need, or you get a bleeping idiot who sells you the wrong stuff and you get to do the job a 2nd or 3rd time as a result.

With good, high quality parts, this is a repair that can last for 20 years or longer like my OE power steering hoses did. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

He needs to replace the cap on his power steering pump. They are just like radiator caps and open to release excess pressure. If the cap does not work properly, that excess pressure blows off the return hose./forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Regular hose clamps are all you need for the return line./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Sorry, Tim...I get what you're saying...but my point is that all high pressure hose assemblies have a pressure rating. They are also rated for chemical tolerances. Beyond that there should be other factors involved to determine whether or not a particular hose assembly is suitable.

I do agree that if you don't know exactly what to buy that you are far more likely to find a knowledgeable counter person at a store that caters to industrial accounts.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers, that was not my intent.

Again, Tubing is rated by max pressure and chemical tolerance. high quality stainless steel hose clamps are available almost anywhere and are suitable for nearly all applications. You should avoid using hose clamps on high pressure assemblies whenever possible, that is why they have barbed fittings and crimp ferrules. Flare fittings can also be used, resorting to hose clamps only for emergency repairs.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No ruffled feathers, I was just trying to get my point across clearly and failed the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Okay here is the update, I went to Napa and got that return line. I don't know what it is for -- but it isn't for a K5, there is no way it can be turned that it is going to fit.

I already have FI style hose clamps -- I am going to try the new cap trick and reroute the hose to bypass the factory cooler thing.

I still wish I could find a source for the original return line in its entirety.
    Here is the roughest drawing of it I could come up with.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the whole assembly?