Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid prices on anything and everything

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WHY...

Does just about everything and anything in all stores, businesses, etc. always list prices for service and products at the .99 increments?

For example: $4.99 for anything, gas almost always has .99 after whatever dollar is listed on the sign, anything at Wal-Mart has .99 after each dollar sign, etc.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Why can't all these stupid businesses list the actual price right at the damn dollar amount instead of .99? It would be much easier to list prices and know how much they are when they advertise them at $4.00 or any dollar amount with .00 after it. Gas prices are different all the time but candy bars seem to run around .99 when they should be advertised at 1.00.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid businesses. Are they thinking if they list something at 4.99, its going to be cheaper to the buyer than listing it at 5.00 knowing theres a 4 in the price instead of a 5 and only a penny less? Stupid.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, nobody sees anyone selling parts here on CK5 at 4.99 or anything. Maybe everyone should start selling parts here to others at .99 after each dollar amount. Still stupid again.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Would you rather advertise something for $4.99 or $5? $5 sounds more expensive then $4.99 to someone because it still has the 4 up front....just makes things sound a little cheaper than they are.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Where I come from that would be cheaper.:D

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Marketing. $4.99 sells much better than $5.00. That is a fact. Did I mention that people are stupid?

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

How about the blow out last day 80% off really going out of business sale this time sale. Ever notice how much crap is on sale or has rebates? Why not just price it lower in the first place? Who knows, maybe it's exciting for people to think they are getting a deal.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do not forgot to mention that most people are 33 and 1/3 % math impaired as well. :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, it's that "M" word. $4.97 sells even better than $4.99...

People are stupid.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Whats annoying are these supermarkets that have way outrageous listed prices until you become a "member" then everything is soo much cheaper. Although your not getting a deal at all, they just inflate the rates then sell them to "members" at a cost that would be normal at most places.:rolleyes:

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Or your fuel at 2.69 9/10's per gallon

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oooh, trivia. That 9/10ths thing is there because back in the day, rasing the price of gas one cent was like raising it a dollar today. It stuck on after though. Whoooo!

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Several years ago I saw Andy Rooney (on 20/20 iirc) fill up his gas tank, then demand his .4 cents back. I mean, he got very angry. I can still remember the horrified look on that poor cashier's face. lol

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Because if things weren't priced stupidly (4.99), then pennies would only have value as collector's items. :D

14. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i remember about 10 years ago i was at a small gas station that's only sign was a piece of cardboard that said "GAS BUCK" i used to go there as much as possible because everybody else was .99 9/10