Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid question #12

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drchan, Jan 6, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people. my stupid question for today is, i have a 78k5 i pretty much only use it for fishin', 95% of the time i'm driving in 2wd. i've been hearing stange noises coming from the tcase area. i'm wondering what positon the shifter(l loc, l n, etc) is supposed to be in when driving in 2wd. or does it matter as long as your hubs are not locked. trust me i read all the past post and i could not find an answer to this simple questions. it is almost embarassing to have to ask!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i'm wondering what positon the shifter(l loc, l n, etc) is supposed to be in

[/ QUOTE ]
    Looks like you are trying to describe the NP203 shift pattern. It is a full time t-case (unless converted) that has a shift pattern like this:
    HIGH LOCK
    HIGH
    NEUTRAL
    LOW
    LOW LOCK

If your truck is still full time you should be in HIGH with the front axle engaged for ALL WHEEL DRIVE (as close to 2wd as you can get) or if you have a part time kit you want the front axle unlocked and run in HIGH for 2wd. The part time kits require putting the truck into 4wd once a month or so to keep everything lubricated properly.