Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question #2: How the hell do I remove the radio knobs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Nov 23, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

So I need to remove the instrument panel cover on the '88 K5 for some much needed dash light service. (About the only thing I can make out at night is the fuel gauge). Removed all the screws, and all was well and good until I got to the radio knobs. They need to be removed for the cover to come off, but how?? My shiny new 3000-page service manual of course only says "Remove radio control knobs", it doesn't explain how... Well-spent money indeed. This is the original factory radio; I was gonna swap it out anyway, but I'd like not to break it in the process if I can. I tried pushing and turning, pulling, just about everything I can think of, but I don't want to go at it with any more force until I know how they're supposed to come off. Counting on somebody here to have the knowledge! :o

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

just pull dude. those radio's are pretty tough, they can handle it.

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah they just come off, they may have a release built in, so you may need a small 90* pick to release that

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I saw that thread before, thanks for the tip. I might do just that. I'll check for some kinda release on the knobs, but it looks like I'll just have to pull hard and hope for the best...