Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stupid question about big cities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just watched hitch for the 2nd time. And they showed these amazing "apartments" that were huge and fancy. Since big cities like that are so huge, do people live in apartments more than big houses? Or is it just cheaper to live in a really nice apartment compared to a really nice house? Don't really understand it. :confused:
    Also, in the movie I didn't see a lot of houses. All the buildings were attached to each other, like a duplex with more than 2 "sides" or living quarters. or apartments. Why aren't there houses like say, my town. Where there is many houses, and few apartment buildings....

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

How's the new place Steve.

I think we are the last of the Mohicans or are there other lurkers this late at night?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL new place is great!
    I'm just on here for a bit. Finished watching a movie not too long ago, and got to catch up on the Ck5 info :haha: before bed

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Apartments are cool because you never have to mow the grass. Or shovel snow.

I bet the people in the cities with the apartments are paying 2 to 3 times as much in rent as what your house payment is.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Rent on apt vers house. Sometimes you can rent a house for around the same $$ as a apt, but that would be a older smaller house in a older neighborhood. I rented a 2bdr house in S. Omaha for a few years for $425.00 a month. I have a friend renting a house out in W. Omaha for $1,300.00 a month. I don't see many apts. renting for that much, usely around $500.00 a month give or take a couple hundred either way depending on size and location.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

People in cities usually live in aparatments because houses would be very inefficient use of the space.
    There's usually not enough room in a city for a house. Space is more efficiently used by having multiple occupants in one structure. For the occupants/tenants, it's usually more convenient for them, they're closer to the things they want and don't have to bother with the responsibilities of owning a property.
    Large apartments in a city are usually verrrry expensive.

I had a friend who went through sticker shock when he first moved to the city. He got this dumpy little place barely big enough for two people and was paying around $2000 a month. But, he wanted to be *in* the city, so he paid it. Personally, I think it's absolutely retarded just for a sassy trend and to hang out around the cool people, when that price was more than the mortgage payment on my nice big house with property.
    That was 5 years ago, so I have no idea how much worse it's gotten now, I don't really talk about rent to any of my city-living friends. I do know $10,000 a month isn't completely unheard of in New York City. There are waiting lists for places here, too...

I'm jealous of the land lords. I want to find people that stupid to rent my house... People in large groups...

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

10000 a month? thats HUGE. I couldn't imagine ever paying that much, even if I was RICH.
    Thanks I thihk I get it now... I guess i'm used to empty space, not filled space like the US.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Teak a trip to central SD Stave, fewer people in my state then in New York City

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As RJ said, not all the US is filled. Take New Jersey, for example. Northern NJ is jam-packed, due to it's proximity to NYC. But southern NJ is pretty rural - lots of farms (they don't call it the "Garden State" for nothing...), some state forests, the Pine Barrens, lots of horse farms too.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know, I was just comparing it to Canada. Look at Canada, it is a huge landmass, yet califorina state has more people than all of Canada. Most of canada is just mountains and trees, etc.
    Then looking at the US, most of it is cities, houses, factories etc. Excluding the places you guys mentioned that aren't jam-packed.

11. google

google 1/2 ton status

Someone may have already said it, but in a lot of big cities, people buy the apartment they live in. It's just a way of staying in the city you work in I guess. Most people that live in a house, live FAR away from where they work.