Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question about pipe and tubing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fulltopblazer, May 21, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

What is the difference? I have a pipe bender and built my bumpers out of pipe. People go on about building a rollcage out of tubing not pipe. What is wrong with pipe? Does one have a seam and one don't? I know a pipe bender can't bend tubing and viseversa. I was just wandering if anyone has a link to a site that might tell the diference between the two like how they are measured, how the measure the thickness , and just some pros and cons on the two Thanks

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

As far as I know pipe is designed to withstand the force of pressure from the inside pressing out like water on the inside.... not say the force of something smashing into it because it could shatter because of the design.... tubing is designed to withstand the force of something on the outside of it pressing in... like it'll hold or bend if smashed but not shatter.... I know lots of folks swear it's ok to use pipe for a rollcage... me... I don't use tubing to put in my home's plumbing, so I wouldn't use piping to put in a rollcage.... (this is according to what my grandpa taught me so he might be wrong but I always trusted what he told me) Pipe is measured by the diameter of the inside portion (the hole where the water etc flows) and tube is measured by the tube itself, it's outside diameter... make sense? I hope so! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Main difference is Pipe is ID and Tubing is OD. Pipe is measured by its Inside Diameter and Tubing is measured by its outside diameter. A 1" tube is 1" diameter where a 1" pipe is 1.315" diameter. So, your bender will not bend Tubing exactly how it is meant to bend, but people still do it all the time. You would need to use dies for "close" tubing/pipe sizes. Like 1.25" tubing could be bent in a 1" pipe die with little problems where a 1" tube may not bend exactly how you want it. There is also a difference in tubing types as well as piping types. Tubing has a much higher shear rating than pipe, therefore thats why they use it in roll cages. I dont recommend using pipe for a rollcage - its been done, but you would be better off using tubing. Hope this helps.