Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question about snow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 13, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK, we finally got some snow here...actually some sleet and ice, but thats as close as we ever get in Texas. anyway, i drove around a lot today and there is a bunch of snow/ice/sleet/frozen stuff under my truck. Will this cause it to rust? I really don't want to clean it up, because it will melt off soon, but I want to keep it rust free. BTW they use sand on the roads here instead of salt. Why don't they do that in the rust belt?

90K5

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

They dont use sand here, because it will just blow of the road when the first semi-trailer comes roaring through. The salt reacts with the ice and the ice melts from the heat the reaction produces. Salting the roads is not my favorite but it saves lifes statistickly (sp)aposed to sand or leaving as is. IMHO the salted roads cause people to drive faster thinking it's safe, then when they hit a section without salt they fly off the road.
    In northern Norway, where I live, we have had a strangely snow free winther this far. Freezin cold, but no snow yet. And the sun is under the horizon now to and the snow's really needed to light up the darkdays we have now. All there is is dusk from 1200 to 1400. No sunlight just a slightly brighter sky for a couple of hours...

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

If you have any concerns about rust and such..I'd just go to one of the do-it-yourself carwashes.. and hit the underside with high pressure water to loosen any sand, dirt etc.. that may be caked on underneath.
    Then once your convinced it's clean and dry and no signs of rust.. I'd get some Westley's Black rubberized undercoating and blast underneath your rear wheel wells.. and behind where the tailgate is.
    Just some precautionary measures..
    Hope this helps..
    In my opinion.. I think sand is just as bad as salt.. since sand hold moisture ..

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Your truck will be fine 90K5. Don't worry about it.

The ice will not cause any rusting, even the sand won't cause it. Salt ......... now theres a whole 'nother story ........ rust city! but as you said, they are not salting the roads for this storm, so you got no-worries my friend!

BTW: I love this weather! Isn't it great? my neighborhood looked like a winter-wonder-land this morning [​IMG] Makes me miss living in New England ..........

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's just frozen water. Won't hurt anything. It'll melt as soon as the temp rises.

Salt is corrosive and attacks the metal. Add water to dissolve the salt and help it get into every crack and crevice and you have a perfect recipe for iron oxide. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Most of the highway crews in TEXAS use a sand/salt, or sand/something else mixture[don't remember the name]....if you're worried about rust after the Ice we got go rinse it off, or do like I do...go drive the truck through a 3 foot deep stock tank...they[K-5s} love to swim...LOL

3nails/4wheels
    White Knight

7. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Out here in Salt Lake they use, well... salt. Lots of it. The custom here is to rinse that crap off every week reguardless if its gonna snow again or not. The car wash guys out here make a killing. Some states use potassium acetate which is 100 times less corrosive than NaCl. I'd just rinse it off.

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

If Texas is like Texas used to be when I lived there they don't use salt. They throw down lots of sand that has pebbles in it that chip your windshield and paint. Further north here in Oklahoma, they use what ever they can get there hands on. Mostly sand with bigger pebbles to not only chip your windshield, but crack it beyond repair. The do use salt on bridges and overpasses here. Best bet if you're unsure is to wait until this mess thaws out completely and then wash the underside with soap then rinse at the local carwash. During the spring or summer check the underside and under coat it good if it's not already done. Here in OKC we got 6 to 10 inches of the finest, powdery snow I've ever encountered. It was almost like driving on soft sand at the beach at 6:30 this morning. And low and behold, the idiots were out in full force today. The OK5 had it's first encounter with snow since the overhaul and handled like a dream. I let the spousal unit (wife) take the Z71 to work (she wont drive "the beast"). Her 2 wheel drive Tahoe would not have handled it and the Camaro was in the garage shivering.

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

IT'S times like this I am ALMOST glad I live in CALIF......I did say almost didn't I...

Gokartergo..

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Despite what they say, the ice and snow will cause rust. Make sure you clear out the drainage holes (tailgate etc.) because the ice will tend to clog these and hold the melting stuff inside with all the other muck thats been driven in there over the years. Clear it out and if you're still nervous shoot some WD-40 or similar stuff in the regular spots like thetailgate, through the rustholes in the rockers (did they all come stock with these???)etc. and it should be all set. To settle the other dispute, Texas doesn't use salt, at least not San Antonio last I knew. Not like up here in Maine!!!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Harry Nailed it!!

It's just frozen water!!

You have no more to worry about snow & slush than you do with rain. If there's salt though, it's like the others said - hit a car wash and get rid of it.

Brian
    89KBlazer

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ah, that "fine powdery stuff" is about all we ever get here in Colorado. [​IMG] Sure is easier to shovel than that wet concrete type of snow we got when I lived in Massachusetts for a few years. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com