Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question about transfer case planetaries

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Dec 15, 2003.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody ever tried using heat treated 4340 transmission planetaries in a transfer case? It seems that it'd be a simple way to get a lower ratio. Just an idea, I don't know where I'd go to ask but here. Everyone that offers aftermarket gear ratios are "hush hush" about how they do it.

It seems like the hard part would be to get the sun gear and the shaft but the weak parts (the planetaries) would be easy to obtain.

I don't know, just an idea I came up with while I was taking my Materials exam this morning.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i think you would be better off getting every chrome accessory for your engine compartment like your ax swingin' buddy..

...dont you have enough gear as the truck sits now? personnally i think you are better to run commom parts, that way replacement parts are a salvage yard phone call away and parts trucks are usaully cheap if not free.

3. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    i think you would be better off getting every chrome accessory for your engine compartment like your ax swingin' buddy..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he actually had aluminum junk too. I remember the ax operator telling a story about how one time he got it all muddy then drove it to highschool and baked the mud on the motor. No matter how hard he tried with the toothbrush he couldn't get the discolorations out. Maybe it was one of the other Heep enthusiasts.

The sad part is, I used to have chrome everything on my 350. It was cheaper to buy a $45 Mr. Gasket chrome everything kit than it was to buy plain black timing cover and valve covers. [​IMG]

bling-bling
    [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]

...dont you have enough gear as the truck sits now? personnally i think you are better to run commom parts, that way replacement parts are a salvage yard phone call away and parts trucks are usaully cheap if not free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've got more than enough low range the way it sits. I was mainly wondering because people are paying $2500 for Atlas II transfer cases but planetary gearsets for a transmission cost $130. It'd be a lot more cool to stick a 3:1 set of gears in a NP205 than buy an Atlas II. I know you can get planetary gearsets for automatic transmissions that are smaller than the ones in a NP205 I just don't know what you'd have to machine in order to get it to work. Heck, I'm willing to bet you could even find some straight cut ones for the ultimate in strength.

Plus, I've got a NP208 itchin' to be torn apart. I'd guess there is at least 3-4 ounces of shavings sitting in the bottom of it.

Besides, what the heck am I supposed to think about while taking a Materials final? Materials? nah.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I know you can get planetary gearsets for automatic transmissions that are smaller than the ones in a NP205

[/ QUOTE ]
    You'll find planetaries in 208's, 231's, 241's, and 242's, to name a few. But you won't find any inside a 205. Nothing but big, honkin', massive steel gears inside a 205. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CyberSniper

Damn, now isn't that a swift kick in the teeth? That sure is disappointing. Tells you how many non-aluminum tranfer cases I've had apart.

Might as well shoot that idea in the head. Oh well. I guess at least I wasn't bored during that exam. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

At least I know why no one was replying except the one that lives a few miles away. No one wanted to say, "HEY STOOPID, there is no planetary gearset in a NP205."

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

instead of thinking of ways to get more gear, you need to figure out how to make an overdrive for my flatbed. that way i could go over 60 mph and stay under 3000rpm.....14bolt with a 2 speed rear end would be nice.....

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Run a Ranger Gear Splitter (27% overdrive) It bolts between the bellhousing and the SM465 you already have...it has 2 speeds, 1:1 and .73:1.

Rene

8. CyberSniper

Bigger tires, mon. haha.

Could always track down a NV4500/NV5600 or a 4L80e and convert it to manual valvebody. Being that you don't like electronic stuff and all. haha.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody ever tried using heat treated 4340 transmission planetaries in a transfer case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up the "David" and the "Goliath" doublers. Both appear to be exactly this, planetary gearsets in their own housing.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know, just an idea I came up with while I was taking my Materials exam this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yech! Hated that class. Alpha phase, beta phase, Eutectoid point, blah....