Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid Question of the day. Re: D70U

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Loking at my NEW (to me) D70U on the floor of my shop, how do I remove the drums? Do I have to pull the axles to do this? It looks as if the hub and drum are one piece?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it's a ford they should slide off IIRC.

For GM's you've got to un-do the spindle nuts like a front axle hub assembly removal.

Welcome to the world of full floating axles /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes unbolt the eight axle flange end bolts and pull the shafts and then go for the big nuts in there yep

dont need to pull diff cover to remove shafts and drums on the FF axles

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

On my Dodge 70 ya gotta pull the shafts and the hub and drum come off together.But the hub and drum are not one piece.If you drive out the wheel studs the two pieces come apart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whats your 70 out of?What gears ya gonna run?

Oh yea,Ya gotta remove the spindle nuts after ya pull the shaft to get everything off.My spindle nuts are 2.5".

5. mofugly13

I pulled it off an '85 Ford F-250 Diesel. I donno for sure yet what gears I'm gonna run. My next set of tires will be 35". Probably 4.11 since this is my daily driver/road tripper. After I posted the first time I went downstairs and pulled an axle. I saw that it has to come apart like a d44 hub, but with a drum instead of a disc.

Looks like I'm gonna need to do a disc conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like I'm gonna need to do a disc conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At which time you'll find that those wheel bearings are still required. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What does the "U" part of D70U mean? I know the first part is Dana 70, but whats the "U". Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

who makes the disk conversion for the D70?
    Thanks.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

Ya sure its a Dana 70?Im only asking cuz I almost pulled what I thought was for sure a 70U out of a E350 but it turned out to be a Dana 61 (worthless).

All the research I did said it was a 70U.So I grabbed a buddy and went back to the yard but before we pulled it he suggested we pull a shaft to make sure it was 1.5,35 spline.It wasnt,it was a little under 1.25,30 spline.

I was sad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. FRIZZLEFRY

There is a post in the Ford section on Pirate where a guy did it.

He used Dana 60 caliper brackets and 10 bolt/44 calipers.He used Ford rotors and put the bracket on the back side of the flange.I think he said a GM 10bolt/44 rotor could be used by mounting the bracket to the outside of the flange.

I looked easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. FRIZZLEFRY

12. FRIZZLEFRY

I did a quick search and found this quote and alot of other info.This is in regaurds to a diesel truck also,

"The higher GVW package necessitated the use of the full float rear axle, which was a Dana 61 in F-250s and lower GVW F-350s to about February ’85 production and the 10.25 inch ring gear Ford Sterling after."

Aint sayin ya dont know what ya got,just want ya to be sure before ya spend and time or $$$ on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

13. mofugly13

The first thing I did when I saw this mofo at the yard was pull a shaft and count splines. When I counted 35 is when I got excited. I pulled a metal tag that was bolted under some cover bolts and came here to ask about it. I posted the numbers and Tweetysaurus came back with this. U2slow posted this link. Everything looked good, so I went and got it! It looks like it has not been abused, and regularly serviced. The oil was very clean when I drained it.

Thanks for the link, FRIZZLEFRY, looks like it shouldn't be too much of a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

15. FRIZZLEFRY

Cool deal /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

WAY cool that the tag was still on the cover.The 70 I ended up with had no tag and no BOM number on the axle tubes.I got help from some guys over at Pirate as to a guess on a year and aplication from numbers on the ring gear.You will have a much easier time getting parts than I did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

16. FRIZZLEFRY

Im running 16" rims off of a mid 90s Ford.I have 3.5" wide drums though.Wonder if it would still work?

Thanks for the link /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

18. mofugly13

Re: MOFUGLY13

Thanks a bunch, bro. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Matt
    IBEW 617, San Mateo, Ca

19. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What does the "U" part of D70U mean? I know the first part is Dana 70, but whats the "U". Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All dana 70U's i have seen (both in real life and on the intarweb) have had totally smooth centersections, no lumps or ridges or fins. The rockcrawlers on PBB love the things, no need to shave the axle from stock unless you are desperate for ground clearance.

20. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a post in the Ford section on Pirate where a guy did it.

He used Dana 60 caliper brackets and 10 bolt/44 calipers.He used Ford rotors and put the bracket on the back side of the flange.I think he said a GM 10bolt/44 rotor could be used by mounting the bracket to the outside of the flange.

I looked easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, a D44 or 10 bolt 8-lug rotor will not work. Not on my D70U anyway. The hole in the center of the rotor is too small to fit over the hub. Need a 5.400" hole, the 3/4 ton rotors have a 5.130" hole. I am thinking that I could put the hub on the lathe and cut it down .270" but that would take a funky setup to be sure that the hub is running true to the bearing race axis so the cut is concentric to the spindle axis. I don't really wanna have to mod the hubs if I don't have to. I toyed with the idea of opening up the center hole on the 3/4 ton rotors, but the swing on my lathe is only 11" and I would need a swing of at least 12.5". This would also require setting up so that the rotor was turning true to the spindle axis. I'm gonna create a post to see if someone can measure the center hole on a D60 rotor for me.