Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stupid question: What gear ratio do I have?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Feb 28, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Jan 16, 2002
    OK ok....

I have ARBs in. ARB off, Rear axle, one tire is ON the ground. One is up in the air. I can turn the driveshaft 1 and 4/5ths times for every ONE turn of the wheel.... What the H*** gear ratio is THIS?

I thought I should be turning the driveshaft 3 3/4 times for every ONE turn of the wheel?

This is driving me crazy.

I run ~2500 RPM doing 65 MPH, this points to 3.73 gears. RIGHT?

The reason I am checking is because I am thinking of getting some 4.11 gears.

I know, I know, I could take the cover off and count teeth... but I have NO reason to go in there yet...

<font color=red>Roads, where we're going we don't need...roads. </font color=red>- Doc.
    '73 Blazer, 383 - 3/4 ton, ARB F&amp;R, 35"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TopOff on 02/28/02 04:24 PM.</FONT></P>
  2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Jun 2, 2001
    On the 14 I heard you go two rotations of the tire, so you'd have 1.8 x 2= 3.60 or 3.56's if 3.56's aren't an option then it would be the 3.73's
    Also you don't have to count teeth it's stamped in the ring gear .

What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!
  3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    jack the whole back end up, lock the arb then count how many TIRE rotations per 1 DRIVE shaft rotation, that way there isnt the complicated multiplicaion involved.....J/K [​IMG]

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>